Satellite View and Map of Maniago cutlery places

This board is for announcements about TalkBlade. You can also use it if you want to suggest or discuss new features for this forum. New users: please introduce yourselves here!

Moderators: arthas, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Sharperd

Re: Satellite View and Map of Maniago cutlery places

Post by Sharperd »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Arthas
In the satelite view there appear to be rivers or streams (they are white.) When zooming in, these don't appear to be water. What are they?

Top of hills/Mountains ?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Sharperd wrote:
In the satelite view there appear to be rivers or streams (they are white.) When zooming in, these don't appear to be water. What are they?

Top of hills/Mountains ?
Too long and linear for just Mt/hill tops, too many joining each other for streams, :?
Avalanches? streams next to roads ? Ski trails ?
Same question :!: What ARE they :?: :?: :?:
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hi!
All those white lines are actually roads: Google enhances them in order to provide greater visibility, but you can remove them by acting on the checkbox just below the "Satellite" button on the top-right corner of them map (if the chebox doe not show, go with the mouse pointer over the button).

A bit East of AB Coltellerie there ìs a real river, the Colvera: in that zone, however, it doesn't feature any water on the surface.

M.
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

BUMP: added the site where Jndiana Cutlery was located.

M.
GratefulGlenn
Location: Stumbling around on the *Dark Side of the Moon*, tangled up in Blue's

Post by GratefulGlenn »

That was pretty slick....thx Arthas!
No one gets off this big old ball of mud alive, live hard, and die fast......................

arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Added AKC
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Arthas
If you view the area from the higher altitudes on the satellite photo, these white areas appear as a "V", with Maniago near the top. They don't appear to be roads, and there are several bridges over these areas. Could they be glaciers?
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hi!
Bill DeShivs wrote: If you view the area from the higher altitudes on the satellite photo, these white areas appear as a "V", with Maniago near the top. They don't appear to be roads, and there are several bridges over these areas. Could they be glaciers?
They're just... rivers (it's not cold enough fro glaciers, here ;-)).

They're all white as there is no surface water, mainly because of upstream dams.

M.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I see. And, thank you.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Vagrant's Logic :wink:
Upstream Dams = upstream Reservoirs = Smaller rivers flowing into the reservoirs = tributaries flownig into the rivers = TROUT :!: :D :D 8)
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

arthas wrote:BUMP: added the site where Jndiana Cutlery was located.

M.
I've done searches in the past for jndiana cutlery before because it was in the description of a knife I liked but I turned up with nothing. Is there an easy way to find them? Are they in buisness? Does anybody have a link? Thanks
Leverlock switchblades
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I believe they are no longer in business and another Maniago outfit bought the remaining stock [and/or rights to the name ?].
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Jndiana did not manufacture anything. They got their knives from the good 'ol cottage industry crowd in Maniago. Any location would have been little more than an office with maybe some light warehousing and shipping.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

natcherly wrote:Jndiana did not manufacture anything. They got their knives from the good 'ol cottage industry crowd in Maniago. Any location would have been little more than an office with maybe some light warehousing and shipping.
Excellent veiw and beautiful map Arthas! Well detailed and described.I am enjoying it. Party on dude! :)
I can see why Jndiana are no longer in buisness. I am also surprised their knives came out of italy. Knives out of Italy are to me top quality.
Maybe this isn't a great example of their best work but.........................Heres a pic of a Jndiana Co. version of a shell puller. If you look closely you can note the thin hollow switchcomb like bolsters. :lol: I see that at least SKM produces those great hunting classics (although I wish they had a straight blade not the zuava blade) with much better quality. I'm gonna order a couple from SKM soon.
I am going to order a Hubertus from knifeshop and try my luck. The knife does lock up nice and tight.
Leverlock switchblades
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

That is a great map arthas. I zoomed out to see how close Rome is to Maniago. Can you give me an aproximate distance in kilometers? Rome is a spot that my wife and I will possibly see next year. A flight will then board a cruise ship vacation to New York. We would love to visit Maniago before the cruise to see the area. I would love to look for some vintage italian switchblades. :D Thanks for the Map. Deciphering Italian is challenging.
Leverlock switchblades