Black Beauty Stiletto

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
krakenten

Re: Black Beauty Stiletto

Post by krakenten »

Point of fact, it was Gutman that told me about the ban-I had written to them about buying a 13'' manual stiletto in the very early '60's, and they replied the Federal Government had prohibited their importation.

York Cutlery Company told me the same thing.

They said the Feds had decided they were too easy to convert into gravity knives.

The Wolf Killer stiletto, a manual offered in many sizes from the same sort of ads disappeared at the same time, to be replaced by the teeny knives often offered as twofers, get the second one for a penny, and the ads stated 'only one size allowed in the US'.

The clip point, or Zuava blades appeared in the '70's-since they were sold at outlets that carried the Gutman lineup, I suppose Gutman's had worked out a deal.

The arbitrary nature of decisions in Customs is truly revolting-rule are manipulated to suit the purposes of the department, which is mainly getting more budget.

ATF is a good example of this-now they have plenty of anti terrorism work, but when they found themselves with fewer cases in the late '40's and early fifties, they simply changed the rules to make pistols with shoulder stocks(these were actually fairly plentiful, brought home as souveniers from WWI, Germany issued them to machine gun crews) in the same class as sawed off rifles and shotguns.

This gave them more cases to prosecute.

When work got plentiful, in the terrorism scare of the sixties and beyond, they began to change rules to make fewer cases, classifying there guns as 'curios and relics' so they wouldn't be obliged to spend time on them.

These are the people who brought us Ruby Ridge.

Crazy thing is, the next very popular street knife was the folding guard clasp knife, and they opened with a flick of the wrist(how I miss those knives, they were so darn useful!).

No problem with those.

I worked for the government, in Law Enforcement, for thirty years-it's a job that needs doing, and most of the folks working at it do it well and honestly.

Just don't trust them TOO much, ok?
Life has no value, Death has a price
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

I think the Westbury Sales thing was a mom and pop operation, and mom and pop decided to retire.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Ive wondered about Westbury Sales. I actually bought a few knives from them when I was a kid.
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

So did I!
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

do you guy's still have any of the flyers they sent with the orders,I don't even have any of the knives anymore
Islandoutfitter

Post by Islandoutfitter »

Here's my picklock Black Beauty....found it at my local swap meet:
Attachments
BB007.jpg
BB007.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
BB004.jpg
BB004.jpg (230.38 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
BB001.jpg
BB001.jpg (120.69 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
sammy the blade