What knifes to buy?

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Scoobydoo

What knifes to buy?

Post by Scoobydoo »

Hi,
i'm new in cooking. i don't know what knifes to buy?
any one can tell me what knifes are not very expencive and realy good?
i looked for henkels in local stores and the i found a pack of kichen knifes for 220$ and i also wanted to ask maybe there is cheaper and same quality knifes?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Henckels is certainly one of the top end brands. But if you are “new in cooking”, there are certainly many other options. Check out the internet using Google and look for “professional kitchen knives” or variations thereof. Lots of knives at every price point. I wouldn’t say all are up to Henckels’ quality, but then you probably don’t need knives at that level given your newcomer status. Probably a good idea to buy something that is also available locally, so that if there are problems you can get help. Later on if you are really serious about cooking as a profession, then splurge for a roll of really good knives and write them off on your taxes!
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Check your local yellow pages.
many if not most kitchens rent their knives , this includes weekly sharpening service.
you can buy direct from them , new or used.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Wow, a question on this forum I can actually answer...

I've been in the restaurant business for the last 20 years. I can tell you this. DO NOT SKIMP. A cheap kitchen knife, is cheap and you will not be happy. I'd do some pricing research on the internet.
You can not lose with a Trident. They are great knives. My personal favorite is Global. I would start with these two 1st. You can not go wrong with either one and they are close in price, I think the Globals may be a little more.

Hope this helps.
Dances with Emus

Post by Dances with Emus »

'Furi' do a good knife, anything made in Sheffield (England) ie 'Wilkenson Sword' is top quality. Then there is Soligen (German) and very good quality, 'Swibo' is a very good brand but I think they cater for the Butcher trade more than the lowly Chef. But like the other bloke said..."Don't skimp on Knives..." Find a Brand you like, Find a set that is at the higher end of what you're willing to pay, then go out and buy the next set up in price. Oh, and don't let anyone else touch them AT ALL!
'Such is Life'
Mick
LaBella

Post by LaBella »

Bark River is making some kitchen knives...I cant wait and am going to help "test" them on JD!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Kershaw "Shun" knives are very good also, albeit expensive. For a low-cost alternative that will get you through until you make a decision, go to your local Asian market. You can get decent knives (for Asia) for around 5-10$ each. Just remember, use a honing steel EVERY time you use your knife, whether $10 or $200.
Regards,
Frank
Don't blame me, I voted for Alice Cooper.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

http://www.dexter-russell.com/
A great American option. Their "Green River" line is especially good for the money :idea:
The Green River line includes outdoor/hunting/sporting knives that Russell doesn't show on their site :?
You can find them here, http://www.888knivesrus.com/product/RU1100
bayne

Post by bayne »

Cutco knives are...well, simply the best.