New/Uses

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
HTMLBali

New/Uses

Post by HTMLBali »

I plan on buying my first Balisong in a week. If I were to buy a cheap and just learn to open/close it fast and use it for practical things, is this bad? Or should I consider buying another knife?
ZENGHOST

Re: New/Uses

Post by ZENGHOST »

HTMLBali wrote:I plan on buying my first Balisong in a week. If I were to buy a cheap and just learn to open/close it fast and use it for practical things, is this bad? Or should I consider buying another knife?
If it were me, I would just save up for a Benchmade if you can afford it. There's a lot of people out there who went with a cheapie first and just ended up getting a Benchmade anyway because the cheapie died.

Welcome to the forum.
Icon of Sin

Post by Icon of Sin »

yeah, once you get flipping with that cheapy is wont last very long. Save up for the BM and it will last you a very very long time.
All My vids are back online Check them out here.
http://balisong.theasylum.org/IconOfSin/

I'm the best you ever seen Fats, I'm the best there is, and even if you beat me I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson (The Hustler)
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

I'm going to give a diferent point of view here.
Even though I love my Benchmades: Everything new I've learned has been on a Jaguar M4. I now have throwing ability thanks to the Jaguar.
I never would've thrown around my BM 42 for fear that I'd damage it, or cut the hell out of myself they're razor sharp. I never would have thrown around my heavy handle cheapies either, But with the jag I drop it 150 times a day and at $20.00 who cares. Everything I mastered on the Jag was easily transfered to the BM. So I guess my opinion is get one of each. For what it's worth and I'm sure alot of people will disagree with me here I really enjoy my Jags and feel they're well worth the money, I don't expect benchmade quality with them just a good low dollar flipper.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

welcome mr htmlbali!

well mr zenghost and mr icon of sin both speak the truth, you WILL eventually want a higher end bali once the bug has imbedded into your brain - but i think mr stepdaddy may have a point. if you have never even opened a balisong, maybe you should limit your first purchase to a cheaper model until you master some very basic moves.

if you are asking weather a balisong makes a good EDC (every day carry) knife, well, i'd personally have to say no - get yourself a regular US made switch, or scoocum manual. hey don't get me wrong - i still think you should get a balisong, as they are lots of fun :D
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I think they can make a very good EDC because of their strength it would be like using a fixed blade. The drawbacks are they are quite heavy in ones pocket unless you use a sheath and opening no matter how discreetly in front of people to use could be very difficult ,unlike a switch where you can act like your opening it like a regular pocket blade except your pushing the button in. Of course this all goes out the window if you have a 15" Kriss.
PB
ExamonLyf

Post by ExamonLyf »

:D Welcome! ~ I'm with Zen & Icon on this. I don't think S-D has a bad point at all if you can afford to invest in two knives right now. From what I've seen, most don't want to do that starting out.

If you are sure you want to get into Balisongs.., then I would definitely get a Benchmade Model, but if you aren't sure and want to goof around a little to see, then a "Classic Jag" is a good choice because you haven't spent much money....

Let us know how you are doing...
Pete Johnston

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

Well, I first found one that my friend wasnt using in his house (dull as hell blade, but it worked) that same week, learned quite a few things......but when i went to the flea market they only had classic jags which i used one of my friends and the handles are to big......so i bought a $10 and a $15 cheapy, they are sharp and flip ok....my next purchase will be Jag M4, until i can do EVERYTHING with these 3 knives......i wont even consider a benchmade......
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Re: .........

Post by mrbigg »

HTMLBali wrote:Well, I first found one that my friend wasnt using in his house (dull as hell blade, but it worked) that same week, learned quite a few things......but when i went to the flea market they only had classic jags which i used one of my friends and the handles are to big......so i bought a $10 and a $15 cheapy, they are sharp and flip ok....my next purchase will be Jag M4, until i can do EVERYTHING with these 3 knives......i wont even consider a benchmade......
that's a good idea mr htmlbali - start with a couple cheapies until you get some moves mastered, that's what i've been doing - but if there's one thing i've learned, never say never...you will consider a benchmade one day.....
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

The funny thing is everything I've mastered with my Jag causes my hart to stop when i try it with my Benchmade. They are razor sharp and not as forgiving as the jaguar when it comes to slipups.
Last edited by stepdaddy on Mon May 12, 2003 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

A little late now, but just get a BM in 40 series, you'll end up buying it anyway (unless you run out of money or lose your hand in a non-knife related incident). The cuts and scars are badges of honor, or you could always tape the blade if your a pussy :wink:
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

Well to be honest, im only 16 so I dont make that much moeny....and anything i do make goes towards a car/comp payment
Im perfectly happy with carrying a kinda-realiable cheapy for self defense/work........
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Ahem- Im a pussy. :wink:
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

BennytheBlade wrote:Ahem- Im a pussy. :wink:
And your a Texan? Shame! :wink: :lol:
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

Wow benny you poped out of nowhere with that one...hope you werent mocking me, or else consequences could come >=')