Intresting insider pictures

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Causeway

Intresting insider pictures

Post by Causeway »

Have a look at the picture below.
Very innovative design in the piviots of the knife.
Only visable when the knife is fully taken apart(partially visable when reconstructed).
This actually adds a diffrent feel to the knife as the blade moves through the design.
Last edited by Causeway on Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

Causeway, what handle is that?

It looks like they removed metal around the pivot area to reduce the effects of friction. But, isn't that what washer/bushings do?
tonyccw

Re: Intresting insider pictures

Post by tonyccw »

Causeway wrote:Very innovative design in the piviots of the knife.
Only visable when the knife is fully taken apart(partially visable when reconstructed).
Solid intergral washers, that have been milled into the pivot underside, has been done by many custom makers in the past.
Causeway wrote: This actually add a diffrent feel to the knife as the blade moves through the design.
Unless the specific cutouts are matched to the blade it shouldn't feel any different than any other channel milled bali with a washer set. How exactly does it feel different? What tactile aspects can you point out?
Bali's: one of life's simple pleasures.
Bustard

Post by Bustard »

This looks like the solution used on my monarch. Could it be? It doesn't have washers, but still the fork is a bit "away" from the blade. I think this that is in the pic could be the same that you can find on monarch.
Bustard's Crappy balisong site :cool: We host your balisong video, on a crappy site!

Spam-a-Song®!!! Once you flip, you can eat!™
ExamonLyf

Post by ExamonLyf »

Bustard wrote:I think this that is in the pic could be the same that you can find on monarch.
..., and many other custom Balisongs....
Pete Johnston

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Causeway

Post by Causeway »

I can tell you that it's a milled handled steel balisong.
There are no brushing or washers in the piviots,so i guess the maker decided to do some type of "reinforcement" by milling out some inner parts of the piviot to reduce the friction.Cause this balisong dosen't use any brushing or washers in the piviots.

These are the pins used in/on the balisong piviots
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Just for the record surface area is NOT used in any formula for determining moving friction [that I know of]. Surface texture and weight [pressure] are used but surface area is not. There may be a slight difference in starting friction in some cases [experts debate this] but I know of no forumla for this.