This is ugly

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
stepdaddy

This is ugly

Post by stepdaddy »

This has to be the ugliest bali i 've ever seen :!:

http://bladeauction.com/cgi-bin/osa/Vie ... ber=678876

I just might have to bid to prevent it from showing up again :lol:
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

It's not that ugly. :) It does have a couple chips in the black scales. I personaly don't think It's worth $50.

If you have $400 more get this one!

http://bladeauction.com/cgi-bin/osa/Vie ... ber=678420
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

damn thing got two bids already. It's still ugly as sin. Not to be confused with Icon of Sin :lol:

Some day I'll get a Darrel Ralph custom. Just not any time soon.
Didn't he have a hand in the build it yourself design from knifekits.com also.

SD
Icon of Sin

Post by Icon of Sin »

It's still ugly as sin
hey, be nice :) JJ

and yes the knifekits bali is of Mr. Ralphs design.
All My vids are back online Check them out here.
http://balisong.theasylum.org/IconOfSin/

I'm the best you ever seen Fats, I'm the best there is, and even if you beat me I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson (The Hustler)
Sabo

Post by Sabo »

That knife probably dates back to WW II.
Sabo 29
"Catch you on the flip side"!
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

stepdaddy wrote: 5.0
Some day I'll get a Darrel Ralph custom. Just not any time soon.
Didn't he have a hand in the build it yourself design from knifekits.com also.

SD
Yup, me too. I just need the fund$. :)
I guess if I can stop buying the Benchmade Bali's I could afford it. LOL :D
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

hey stepdaddy,

i guess it all depends on your idea of ugly. you probably don't like italian stiletto's either - right?
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

mrbigg wrote:hey stepdaddy,

i guess it all depends on your idea of ugly. you probably don't like italian stiletto's either - right?
Bigg
Sure I do. I just don't like the two tone look. I really hate stag handles.

SD
ExamonLyf

Post by ExamonLyf »

:idea: Some of those old FHM's are really made well. That is not a WWII example, and none were really that good during that era. Maybe early 80's I'd guess..., but it is truly hard to tell since the materials in the Philippines are limited.

Of course they don't have the esthetic appeal of some of the high-end knives these days, but you have to appreciate guys that have family members peddle a bike attached to their grinding wheel.

The blades that were well heat treated when that knife pictured was made.., are spectacular performers, as they are mostly either 5160 or 52100 high carbon steel, taken from the "race" of old trucks, or the springs in the suspension.

The pivot pins are very shabby simply because the proper alloys were not, and are not, available to the makers. Most are made from 6-Penny finish nails, which suck, but are better than what you see on CCC's currently.

I have many of these that are very good knives.., and I'll post some pictures when I get time. They are mostly just for collectibility now, but they are an interesting part of the history of this style knife, and I absolutely guarantee that with a proper primary bevel.., you will never get a blade made of any stainless steel as sharp as 5160 or 52100..., no chance in Hell.. 8)

That knife pictured looks to be a "Roadside Tourist Model" they typically sell along the roads leading into the various Barrios surrounding Taal (a fairly large city in Batangas Province).., but back about 15 years ago.., there were still quite a number of makers that produced really fine Balisongs considering their intended use.

Some are actually pretty darn good for manipulation, but would never hold up without replacing the pivot pins with something more substantial.
Pete Johnston

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"