Newbie question

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
MarioG14

Newbie question

Post by MarioG14 »

I was wondering, how exactly did everyone get into Balisongs? Who bought you you're first?
What is this great evil? How did it steal into the world? From what seed, what root did it spring? Who's doing this? Who's killing us? Robbing us of light and life. Mocking us with the sight of what we might have known.
ZENGHOST

Re: Newbie question

Post by ZENGHOST »

MarioG14 wrote:I was wondering, how exactly did everyone get into Balisongs? Who bought you you're first?
I bought me my first bali. Once you see someone flip a balisong, I don't know how you can resist getting into them. I do remember being in Tijuana when I was a kid and seeing a street vendor flipping one as he tried to sell it to a customer. It was only a matter of time before I got into them myself.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Well when I was about 10 my 17 year old brother had one. I just waited till he came home half-lit and kindly asked him for it. Because he liked his little brother so much he gave it to him making him a very happy lad. On firday and saturday nights you can make a small fortune waiting for older (But still underage) siblings to get home :lol:
Icon of Sin

Post by Icon of Sin »

I bought a cheapy at a flea market then stumbled across Clay's site about a year and a half ago and I have been flipping ever since.
All My vids are back online Check them out here.
http://balisong.theasylum.org/IconOfSin/

I'm the best you ever seen Fats, I'm the best there is, and even if you beat me I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson (The Hustler)
MarioG14

Post by MarioG14 »

Hey, Icon. Remember me?
What is this great evil? How did it steal into the world? From what seed, what root did it spring? Who's doing this? Who's killing us? Robbing us of light and life. Mocking us with the sight of what we might have known.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

when i was in high school, a friend gave me one that he brought back from a trip to the phillipines with his parents. i learned a few tricks, but promptly got it confiscated - by a teacher.

it wasn't till a couple of years ago that another friend gave me a similar one from the phillipines that my interest was rekindled. now for chrissakes i'm looking at a bloody MT tachyon! am i freakin crazy!?!?!
Icon of Sin

Post by Icon of Sin »

Hey, Icon. Remember me?
Yeah man, i didnt know that was you at first, how you been Mario?

I'm the best you ever seen Fats, I'm the best there is, and even if you beat me I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson (The Hustler)
ExamonLyf

Post by ExamonLyf »

Got my first one in the Marine Corp over 35 years ago (the Philippines).., and never really started "collecting" until a few years after I was out of the service and Jody Samson started making them for Bali-Song, Inc. ~~> which became Pacific Cutlery ~~> which became Bencmade Knife Company.

Martial Arts got me started with a peripheral interest in the Filipino Martial Arts, but these forms were so much different than what I studied previously (Hwa Rang Do), that my interest in these knives didn't peak until the late 70's....

The rest is history.., (and expensive...lol)
Pete Johnston

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
MarioG14

Post by MarioG14 »

Pretty good, man. I guess I'm on here cause I can't sign up on bladeforums cause of my computer.
ZENGHOST

Post by ZENGHOST »

MarioG14 wrote:I guess I'm on here cause I can't sign up on bladeforums cause of my computer.
:?: How does that happen?
Icon of Sin

Post by Icon of Sin »

Pretty good, man. I guess I'm on here cause I can't sign up on bladeforums cause of my computer.
You should try signing up again, they just had a massive rehaul over there. New servers and stuff, runs better then ever.

navajo

starting

Post by navajo »

Like Pete J., got my first one in the Philippines in 1964. Became a PCC dealer in 1980, later a BM dealer.
Still do some knife selling part time, just for fun. Don't do it for a living.
Causeway

Post by Causeway »

Got my first balisong back in middle school.
Been flipping ever since...
Icon of Sin

Post by Icon of Sin »

got mine at a flea market... cheapy, upgraded to BM, been flipping constantly :)

MarioG14

Post by MarioG14 »

Hmm...