Can't stay

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
stepdaddy

Can't stay

Post by stepdaddy »

Can't stay long (stop)
Got a Benchmade 31 today (stop)
Gonna play with it for a while (stop)
Hope I don't cut the hands any more then they already are (stop)

I'll post opinion soon :lol:
Causeway

Post by Causeway »

BM31 great knife especially with the clip.I myself like the fact that mine is a BM31s.Serrations help with cutting chores with such a short blade.
Nice for flipping also.
If it's a BM31 straight edge congrats very collectible,attractive and appealing knife.
Great utility knife and exceptional for flipping.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Causeway, I frown upon combo-edge blades. There is nothing in my opinion that a combo-edge can do that a good bellied razor edge can't do on a pocket knife.
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

Congrats on the 31. It's actually a very fast and fun flipper.
J-man wrote:There is nothing in my opinion that a combo-edge can do that a good bellied razor edge can't do on a pocket knife.
All excpet for cutting rope. :wink:

A blade as small as the 31, which is 3/8" shorter than the previous generation 3" bali's, looses it's cutting ability very drastically when serrations are added. Especially since the 31's blade isn't as utilitarian as a full spine drop point.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Opinion Time.
First let me say Benchmade makes all thier knives way to sharp :!:
Some body is going to loose a finger because of this. :roll:
Now as to the 31 plain blade with pocket clip I just got.
WOW
I didn't think I was going to like this knife as much as I do because of it's size. BUT... It's almost as great as my 42.
It's fast as lightning handles are light which I love in a bali. I have the T latch and would have opted for a spring latch if it was available but it wasn't. I also like the pocket clip which is nonexistant when flipping (I had worried it would get in the way) but it doesn't. I might be going out on a limb here but I'm now starting to wonder why anybody would buy anything other than a Benchmade bali. Limited Funds excluded.

SD
ZENGHOST

Post by ZENGHOST »

stepdaddy wrote: I have the T latch and would have opted for a spring latch if it was available but it wasn't.
You gotta go for one of the limiteds (i.e. 31-01,31-02,31-03) for a 31 w/spring latch. I think I would've bought one by now if the regular 31 came with a spring. Of course listening to you rave about it makes me want to head straight to newgraham and pick one up 8) .

As for why anyone would by a non-Benchmade bali, my Tach is extremely smooth. I don't like the feel of the sandwich handles as much as the rounded BM handles, but man is does that thing flip smooth.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

J-man wrote:Causeway, I frown upon combo-edge blades. There is nothing in my opinion that a combo-edge can do that a good bellied razor edge can't do on a pocket knife.
i agree with you j-man, but only when it comes to bali's - ouch those serrations are merciless! :cry:
Bustard

Post by Bustard »

I love my 31. I didn't like the one with combo edge, but anyway I don't use my balis so much for cutting needs.
Bustard's Crappy balisong site :cool: We host your balisong video, on a crappy site!

Spam-a-Song®!!! Once you flip, you can eat!™
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

my thoughts exactly - but i sometimes use my trainer as a screwdriver at work :D allows for practicing on the job :wink:
Causeway

Post by Causeway »

J-man depending on what you using the knife for combo edges can really come in handy.For instance for elecrtical work cutting and rewiring ect..It's it's alot more easy with the combo edge.
Plus on short 3in blades i prefer a combo edge.Although it might not look as nice as a plain edge but they just don't cut it for me.
BTW careful with those serreated edges on your fingers.
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

Causeway wrote:J-man depending on what you using the knife for combo edges can really come in handy.For instance for elecrtical work cutting and rewiring ect..It's it's alot more easy with the combo edge.
Cutting anything thicker than 18ga wire with a knife is asking for it to be chipped. I have stripped more serration off my using knives in the 12 years I've done telecomm/data cabling than I care to remember. It's tantamount to abuse. So if you value your blade's edge, use the proper tool: wire cutters. My $0.02.
Bali's: one of life's simple pleasures.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

i would have to agree with you tonyccw - every knife has different uses - but i don't think cutting wire is the intended use of most knives :D

bali's are for flipping, not snipping :wink:
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

bali's are for flipping, not snipping
I thought they were for quick opening for a fast death strike. Kinda like a primative switchblade.
ExamonLyf

Post by ExamonLyf »

Cool little knives! :) I don't like the weight of the knife myself, and think it's much too light. Wonderful profile though! I wish they would make that exact profile in a 4.25" blade.

As mentioned, the little 31-0X knives are awfully neat!!! I love the 31-03, but they are pricey.

The 31 really has been a great knife for many, so I'm sure you'll love it.

On the serration deal, I do agree that serrations are effective for specialized use as Tony mentioned, but I just hate 'em...:)...just me.., I think they look awful on a Balisong..., or almost any knife for that matter.
Pete Johnston

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
navajo

Post by navajo »

The 31 is too light for me. Thats why I bought two 35 specials. One to use and one to look at.
Pete, that blade, on the 31, would be great on a 4 incher. :D