New Kid on the block. BOSS

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
stepdaddy

New Kid on the block. BOSS

Post by stepdaddy »

Well some may and other may not have heard there is a new company making Balisongs in the market. The company is BOSS and thier Bali is the Cheetah. Made by the same person that made the Microtech Tachyon, and Dragonfly. The Cheetah is a knock off to the third degree. Made for the market that couldn't afford $100.00-$300.00 for the design. The knife is the same size as the Two Microtechs same and the same Handle and blade style. The first generation of knives only come in silver or black with plain blade or 1/2 serated blade. I've seen them priced between $15-$25.00.

Quote from ad for knife:
Borrowing heavily from his design, Mike Turber's Cheetah is the best value in the butterfly knife market today.

I received my Cheetah and started flipping asap. First thing I noticed it needed some breaking in because the pin's didn't seem to allign properly with the handle groves. The other complaint I have is the loose blade during swinging. While locked open or closed the blade is tight. Also would it be asking to much to add a little thread lock to the screws that hold this thing together? I've said this about my Dragonfly and it holds true with the Cheetah this knife is a small flipper and if you have larger hands it isn't easy to work. If you want a larger Bali to throw around I'd recomend a Jaguar M4 which is a copy of the Benchmade 42. If you have your mind made up on a Dragonfly I'd say try the Cheetah first.

Options to come from Boss
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

thanks for the info mr stepdaddy! they look like pretty nice balisongs.

what do you think about your MT bali? do you think they are worth the big bucks?
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Bigg I would say my Dragonfly was well worth the $95.00 I paid for it. It's well built, sharp as a razor, swings perfect and fast. The only issue I have with it is the size during swinging it's smaller than most others. I think some of the draw to it is it's tactical design. The quality is what you would expect from MT.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Gee and to think Mike got a haircut. He's pretty up front about who's ripping off who but he and Tony have never seen I to I.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr PB

first of all - what the hell are you talking about?

secondly, do i need to remind you that real names are a no-no? :wink:

***oh, i see what you're on about haircuts and ripoffs and such! the cheetah guy!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

MR Bigg
You would have had to been around the knife forums for years to glean the info I have. What names? Mike his name is right on the ad and Tony hell lots of people named Tony. Do your homework before you bust my chops.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

ok mr PB

i was just practicing! :D
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

No Sweat.
PB
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

It's kinda funny to see the original designer clone his own design. Is there some sort of bad blood over this? As I see it: some times the creator/artist and the Company guys have diferent visions and this can create issues.
8thsinner

Post by 8thsinner »

There were large issues over stuff concerning mike's knives there is a thread on the forum which details it, do a search for more info.
Doing the right thing is bleeding for the cause.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Its a long boring story involving more then balis. It started with a forum then a business then from there more stuff occured and now as I look back over the years I could give a rats ass about it. Frankly I was stupid to even bring it up.
PB
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

Hi Guys, got my Cheetah yesterday. It's a little rough and need a little tweeking but all in all, it's a good knife for the money. A lot better than most of the cheep flee market bali's I have seen. I'm shure the 2nd generation Cheetah's will be better.

Causeway

Post by Causeway »

Haven't got one yet,but the knife is based on the prototype aluminum tachyon.Only one made,...and i belive that mike turber is the owner of that one.
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

Causeway wrote:Haven't got one yet,but the knife is based on the prototype aluminum tachyon.Only one made,...and i belive that mike turber is the owner of that one.
The Dragonfly is the result of the aluminum Tachyon Prototype. The Cheetah has a completely differnent set of materials.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

has anyone found any of these other than the silver or black handles?