Even I can have questions!

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i would have to say that from a collector point of view, i liked most of the ones tonyccw bought. i especially liked the two silver parkers he picked up!

some of those ebay examples aren't even comparable!

:)
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

pepper wrote:whatevershop is a smart seller though, dont know how smart of a bidder tonyccw is, but if he is willing to spend that much, then thats his choice. But they can be found for ALOT CHEAPER.[/url]
Yes they can be found for a lot less, but in the world of collecting, a NIB, as these were, can easily be worth more than twice a used one. So, given that they are 1) no longer made, 2) a lot less fewer made that is NIB, and 3) not often available, I don't see an issue with the prices I paid. And as an FYI Tanner, some of the prices paid were less than what they went for new. Which meant I made out by paying less for something that someone took the time out to hold on to.

When you have a better understanding of how the collecting market works, and what the real values are, by buying and selling them, instead of just viewing and judging from the sidelines, we'll talk on even ground.
pepper

Post by pepper »

tonyccw wrote:
When you have a better understanding of how the collecting market works, and what the real values are, by buying and selling them, instead of just viewing and judging from the sidelines, we'll talk on even ground.
We will...
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr tonyccw

i'm with you, i'd rather pay more for something i like than pick up junk for cheap!

mr pepper,

nobody wants to be the guy who just sold a NIB collectors piece for $14 only to find out the next day that it's worth $140!! you seem like you are quite happy to cheat someone out of a fair deal! :?
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

mrbigg wrote:mr pepper,

nobody wants to be the guy who just sold a NIB collectors piece for $14 only to find out the next day that it's worth $140!! you seem like you are quite happy to cheat someone out of a fair deal! :?
Nothing wrong with getting a great deal. IF you can snag one, good for you. But absolutely nothing wrong with paying fair market either. Which is the more common occurance.

The collecting market requires that at least some level of acceptance for the values be kept. If everyone keeps buying at bargain prices, that's the price level people will pay, and you've just tanked the market.

But independent of your shopping skills, being negative when someone is paying fair market is very immature and childish. Not everyone can get lucky with bargain hunting. So, until you grow up Tanner, this will be the last message I reply to you here as well.
pepper

Post by pepper »

mrbigg wrote:mr tonyccw

i'm with you, i'd rather pay more for something i like than pick up junk for cheap!

mr pepper,

None of em are junk? Everyone of those auctions I showed have collectors value. Even those pakis, the G971 CLONE is quite rare.

In no way would it be ''cheating'' someone out of a deal, it is totally fair practice, if I can get it for $14, then i'll pay $14. I'm wouldnt up my own bid to give them what it may be really worth, theyre responsiblity to learn what's being sold.

The seller will learn a valuable lesson, market reaserch pays off.

''If everyone keeps buying at bargain prices, that's the price level people will pay, and you've just tanked the market. "

This must of been learnt from the stock exchange, but sadly, I didnt tank it...

"Not everyone can get lucky with bargain hunting."
That's what im always expecting, no-one can hunt.

"So, until you grow up Tanner, this will be the last message I reply to you here as well."

Not surprised. 8)
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

pepper wrote:None of em are junk? Everyone of those auctions I showed have collectors value. Even those pakis, the G971 CLONE is quite rare.
Rare, maybe. Valuable because of it? Only to the buyer and the next buyer after that. Question now is, will he be able to recoup that Paki at better odds than what I paid for my bali's? The one that can turn around and get back their purchase price at any time he wants is the better collector. Since you don't own any of those bali's, you aren't qualified to say if those are good buys. Stop speaking for other people.
pepper wrote:I'm wouldnt up my own bid to give them what it may be really worth, theyre responsiblity to learn what's being sold.

The seller will learn a valuable lesson, market reaserch pays off.
Slightly different situation here. These are auctions, and about the only time you can bargain hunt, since the seller leaves the final value to the whims of the bidders. In that case, their priority is not to make money, but to recover some of it, at any cost. If the seller has set a price that wasn't met, like in 2 of your examples, they didn't sell, but they do show that they are aware of what the market will bear. Not every sale will get asking.
pepper wrote:That's what im always expecting, no-one can hunt.
No true. You have no idea how many deals I've made just because people that want to sell bali sees me buying something similar and then offer me a private sale. You have no way of knowing what I paid for those bali's. You only see a small subset of what is being traded on Ebay and the other popular auction places, and derive a conclusion. You need to get out more often.

Here's a quick one to you. If 80's bali's are so easy to get, show us a summary for the next two weeks, where someone matched, or bettered, all my Ebay purchases you listed; model for model. The information must be able to be verified by independent sources. If you do pull that off, I'll send you a bali of your choice from that same list.
pepper wrote:Not surprised. 8)
You know, I'm gonna change my mind. I'm gonna welcome every opportunity to demonstate just how badly you understand balisongs. Everything from collecting bali's of the 80's (you weren't even born when those were made), to the way it's used and how it's made. And everytime you quote or cite information, or post pictures, that you gotten through one of us old-timers (and we've been talking about you), I'll remind you to credit us. Why? Because I'm very tired of you using the knowledge that we shared with you being used against us. Not because you don't have the right, but because you will never gain the true understanding behind those little nuggets of knowledge. What most people call experience. You've got book smarts, and a heck of a library of pictures that other people took, but you've done nothing but benefitted from the work and sweat of others, and it's time for you to start giving credit where credit is due.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

hey guys,

the only opinion i can offer on this battle you are having between you is to say that most times, to collectors, value is in the eye of the beholder - true, sometimes sellers get shafted, and sometimes buyers get shafted - but that happens all over in life!

i've only recently gotten excited about balisongs, and can't say that i'm even a "true" collector - even though i have a couple that i won't sell at any price.

besides, WTH! you guys are talking about just a few dollars difference. sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes you pay too much - in the long run it all evens out! remember karma will take care of those that are always on the take! :wink:

ps: mr pepper - i collect italian stiletto's, and have a nice collection (but want more) - when i see, or talk to another collector about their stuff, one thing that's not really discussed is how much was paid! it doesn't matter, cause if you want it bad enough you will pay the price! how would you like it if someone criticized the price you paid for what you buy! no one wants to hear that! hey if you see a bargain, by all means, share it with us!

in most cases it's true, you get what you pay for! :D
WickedlyME

Post by WickedlyME »

Ouch, someone picked an argument with tony about collecting. Someone wasn't thinking too well =\ If anyone could pass Chuck in Bali knowledge, it would be Tony.
Only the dead will see the end of war.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

What someone paid for something is their business. Since it's their business it's pretty uncool to post what they paid and then tell them it was a bum deal. For one thing I would be pissed if someone posted pics of knives I bot without telling me. Then to go and berate me and tell the whole forum how you think I'm dumb and got ripped off and go on to say how much I paid would really piss me off. In other words pepper what was your purpose in even bringing up and making fun of what an other member does? Some people on here and other like forums pay $1,000's of dollars for knives that cost $5 bucks 50 years ago. Are they stupid dumbasses? Cause thats about how your coming across on a pointless personal subject which should be dropped as of now. Talk knives fine but keep the personal info out of it. It's no ones business but the person involved.
PB
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

I thought Balisong knife auctions were banned on eBay :lol: see you learn something new everyday :lol:

Funny thing about my knives, I collect Switchblades. I play with and use my balis
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr SD - you can sell any automatic knife or balisong on ebay as long as you say it has a 2" or 5cm blade length - even though we all know this is quite often not the case :wink:

it's because ebay is based in cali - where the 2" legal switches live!
tonyccw

Apology to the rest

Post by tonyccw »

As a new comer I apologize for disturbing the peace in this forum with my personal issues against pepper (AKA as Crosman177 in various other bali forums). But this was a direct attack at my personal business, and I was not willing to let it stand.

MrBigg: You are correct in that we are arguing mere dollars. The difference is that the difference means little to me, while it appears to be a major conquest for pepper.

To explain where I come from, I'll offer the following:

I have currently have around 60 custom bali's, and over 100 production bali's, in my collection. But my primary focus is knives made by Custom Knife maker Bob Lum (currently at 52 pieces). I've been at this knife collecting thing for over 30 years, and have quite a sizable collection of many different knives. Including about 10 auto's (mostly modern MicroTech's, SWAT's and 1 Desert Works Sandshark #29). I have taken the time out to go through the previous threads, and I can say that the level of enthusiasm and common courtesy is fairly high compared to the other fourms on the net. And I hope to be an active participant to this place. Thank you for letting me speak my peace.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

mr tonyccw,

now that you say crossman177 - i can appreciate why you were upset - that dude gives me the heebie-jeebies! he was introduced to me by another member here, and right off the bat he ruffled my feathers - he's just a kid with a know it all attitude.

mr PB is absolutely correct in his last post, and believe me, if he pulls any of that sh*t again, he'll be tossed pronto!

this is a happy place - we're flippers - not fighters :wink:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Tony C
Any chance you can post pics of the Bob Lums? Have you ever seen any of Paul Jarvis work? He makes some gorgeous flippers last time I played with his stuff was at a local show and these knives are works of art. They are also priced like works of art.
PB