Pre Production BM 42 titanium Balisong!

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Galloglas

Pre Production BM 42 titanium Balisong!

Post by Galloglas »

Hey you guys, I have a BM 42 Bali-Song with titanium handles and it is a pre production run knife. It's numbered on the knife and on the box (yeah, I have the box... :twisted: ) as number 137 out of 200.

The knife is in very good to excellent condition as I don't flip it or play a lot with it except when I want to admire it's beauty. Sharp as a razor and very tight and nice. Like I said, I have the box and the nylon carry sheath. The sheath is the only thing that might be in less than mint condition as it gets carried with me in my back pocket...sometimes. :oops:

Does anyone have an idea of what this knife might be worth if I was to sell it or let it go? I'm not sure I wanna do that but I may need to let a few extras from my collection go to be able to afford a few newer pieces. I'm really more interested in customs and one off knives and if I have to let some go I'd rather it be stuff like this that is really nice.

I know some guys are really hot for Balisongs...I really like this knife as it is about as good as they get for a production knife. If it has to go at least I'm sure I can get it into the hands of someone who will appreciate the fact that it is unique and has been cherished for the years I have had it.

Any clues as to what it might be worth on the open market? I'm just looking for a ball park idea here as I'm not really a balisong aficionado. :wink:

Brian
Saikuri

Post by Saikuri »

I know very little, but in a auction I could see it going for $500 or possibly more.
You Republican's better keep up!: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php
joeybladez

Post by joeybladez »

Very nice,I have one of those also but I cant tell weather it is old or new production,
Freedom isnt free
joeybladez

Post by joeybladez »

It just came to mind,are all of the pre-pruductions numbered?
Freedom isnt free
Galloglas

Post by Galloglas »

Well, as this one is numbered 137 - 200 I would *assume* that they didn't number them (pre production units) past 200. But that is an assumption on my part and I'll admit that I really don't know how the manufacturers did their numbering system. I bought this one before there was such a thing as a BM42 in general circulation...the guy at the store that had it actually marked it down to get rid of it as all the folks in town who saw it figured it was way too evil to buy. He told me there was absolutely no one interested in such a knife and that Bench Made would be better served to never go into production with this model. So, he cut me a deal on it just to get rid of it as I was the only one who had asked to see it.

That's a good question about the numbers though. :D

Maybe someone will happen along who can answer it for us...sooner or later some Bench Made Bali freak will happen along and maybe help us out, Dudes. :wink:

Brian
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
- Albert Einstein

"The innovator is not an opponent of the old. He is a proponent of the new."
- Lyle E. Schaller

drfish

Post by drfish »

Very interesting. The hole pattern is different than on the production ones.

(The countersinking is more similar to the 45 series). Apparently they had to widen the countersinking in the 42 handles because they were having trouble with the release from the moulds during the casting process.
"paranoid scofflaw addicts"
balibalistic

Post by balibalistic »

The handles are different because it is a standard t-latch 42!they later upgraded to the springlatch and used deeper countersinking.your standard t-latch 42 (nib) with paperwork etc.will fetch you around $125-150,for a pre production you'll get closer to $200,maybe more if you get the right collector searching for one.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

balibalistic wrote:The handles are different because it is a standard t-latch 42!they later upgraded to the springlatch and used deeper countersinking.your standard t-latch 42 (nib) with paperwork etc.will fetch you around $125-150,for a pre production you'll get closer to $200,maybe more if you get the right collector searching for one.
Those numbers sound about right. $500 sounds really optomistic to me. Could be wrong though.
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'