Spyderfly

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Spyderfly

Post by JerrBear »

I was just wondering if the Spyderfly is difficult to flip because the handles are so far apart when open, and the construction is so angular? I have a cheap Chinese clone and I find it mos' awkwardness...

Also, will flipping a Spyderfly mess you upness as far as flipping a Bali where the handles almost touch when open, such as a BM?

I love the looks of it, but it doesn't seem very practical.

Just curiousness... Thanks for any opinions and/or comments.
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
butch

Post by butch »

it is a very awkward flipper also it doesnt lock open
navajo

fly

Post by navajo »

Its a little awkward at first but not bad once you get used to it.
kozak6

Post by kozak6 »

The main thing about the Spyderfly is that due to the construction and (ironically) the Spyderholes, the handles are extremely heavy for a balisong. I think that this is what turns some people off to it more than anything.

The handles are more rounded than they appear to be, so you probably won't have to worry about that.

Navajo is right. Have you ever transitioned to a stainless steel balisong from something lighter? It's a lot like that, but much more so due to the increased weight. Once you get used to it, it's no problem at all. I think the complaints about clumsiness are from people who transition right from a titanium balisong straight to the Spyderfly, and expect it to flip exactly the same.

The shape of the handles won't mess your upness as to where flipping other bali's is concerned. It doesn't really seem to matter that the handles stand so far apart.

However, the handles are fairly long, so it will make your other bali's seem much smaller by comparison.

Also, after you get used to the weight, it will make your other balisongs feel completely different. It will make your other balisongs seem much lighter, and they will seem much faster.

The good news, though, is that if you don't give your Spyderfly a chance and want to ditch it right away, is that you should be able to sell it for a pretty decent price and get most of your money back.
Help, my avatar is broken
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Thanks guys!

I won't ever own one, but since I had this Chinese clone sitting around, I just kinda wondered how a "real" one would perform...
JerrBear
jimmyjo

Post by jimmyjo »

Hey JerrBear, they suck, I had to rush out and buy one when they came
out. I spent 109.00 at a local shop and had someone right next to me that
wanted the same one. I wish I would have walked slower that day. For
80.00 I could have bought one on line.
I is a slow flipper and a hand banger when you flip it fast. Maybe it's just
me but the weight makes it fall to the ground a lot more.
espada y daga
butch

Post by butch »

its not just you,I find the shape and weight very awkward I prefer the lighter slimmer models,much easier for control.
jimmyjo

Post by jimmyjo »

Since this is on spiderflys, anyone want to buy or trade something for one.
Maybe a typhon.
espada y daga
mac

Post by mac »

that Spyderfly is like the best bali for edc or flipin or what ever and people that dont know about knives like the rainbow one lots, but I like vg10 more then stupid 440 :roll:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

mac wrote:that Spyderfly is like the best bali for edc or flipin
Like why is that? Just because they like look good?
JerrBear
jimmyjo

Post by jimmyjo »

I guess they have a spider name and that makes them cool. You rock spyder man even with a spyderfly. :o
espada y daga
mac

Post by mac »

well I don't think they look all that good, but those big handles are good to hold on for some cutting or stabing fliping and droping and its cheaper then other balis
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

The only thing that appeals to me about them is their appearance. As they say, "There is no accounting for taste."
:P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

When those things first came out i just about went on a witch hunt to get one. Glad I didnt, it was the no lock open that did it for me.
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
BleedingMisanthropica

Post by BleedingMisanthropica »

I just got one, I'm pretty happy with it. I wasn't happy with it out of the box, the first thing I did was completely take it apart, clean it, reverse the pivots and relube it. It is heavy, since my EDC has been a BM42. It just took a minute to get used to, that's all. Anyone who can't work it proficiently just needs to improve, it's not the knifes fault IMO.

I had to move my grip up a little, to accomodate the awkwardness of the handle shape. I usually hold towards the latch end for flipping, so with the Spyderfly I had to choke up a bit and hold nearer to the pivots. It rolls in the fingers just fine up there, and is where you want to be holding once it's open anyway.

It's may also be worth mentioning that I never flip my balis holding the "safe" handle, I always flip with the sharpened edge to the knuckles. I've been flipping this Spyderfly for two days, and haven't drawn blood once. It's different, but not awkward if you've got any practice under your belt. It's definitely not as bad as a lot of the crap I've been hearing about it. I don't think it's worth full ($100+) retail, but I've seen them new under $70 and for that price it's a fantastic knife.

OH, and Blackjack- I prefer the 'locking open' knives myself. Just as a point of interest though, some states have laws against it for these, which the Spyderfly neatly found a loophole for. Not that getting caught with it wouldn't get it taken away for some other reason *cough-blade length-cough*, but still...
...basically I'm into anything cool looking that I can hurt myself with.