Mirror Finish

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
stepdaddy

Mirror Finish

Post by stepdaddy »

Well it's almost there. After a few meetings with The Lansky sharpening system and two plus years of flipping, My BM 42's blade had a some scratches. I started with 220 grit Paper, then 400 then 600. I was starting to worry as the blade was really scuffed even after using the 600. I started polishing, Buy hand or shall I say finger with Metal Glo and I must admit it came out really nice. Still could use some more finger grease to remove some micro scratches but looks great as is.

SD
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

looks great SD - you could go to 800 krokus cloth or even up to 1200 or 1500 grits!
Flippin

Post by Flippin »

That's some lovely work... Colour me impressed! :D
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Nice work...did you have to avoid the etching or did it stand up to sanding?
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

mr_edge wrote:Nice work...did you have to avoid the etching or did it stand up to sanding?
Mr Edge:

I tried to stay away from the Tang area when sanding, I did get it a couple times with the Metal Glo but just wiped it down and it was fine.

Just picked up some 1500 grit wet/dry paper I think I'm gonna start to wet sand it to try to get the microscratches out.

SD
balibalistic

Post by balibalistic »

Your probably better aff just very lightly sanding it once more with dry 600 grit,then move up to the 1500 dry.i find when used wet it causes more scratches then anything.but then again i've never used 100 wet.let us know how it turn's out.