Sorsakoski (Hackman) & Daiwa Fish Knife II

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
oregon

Sorsakoski (Hackman) & Daiwa Fish Knife II

Post by oregon »

The Sorsakoski (Pertemet engraved on the blade, not etched) came today in new/perfect condition. Fished off of the bay.

The Daiwa Fish Knife II also arrived today in blister pack/new/perfect condition. Fished off of the bay as well. The name on the blade is engraved beautifully (not laser etched) and creates a rich look. A thicker blade vs the Sorsakoski.

oregon

Re: Sorsakoski (Hackman) & Daiwa Fish Knife II

Post by oregon »

oregon

Post by oregon »

oregon

Post by oregon »

oregon

Post by oregon »

oregon

Post by oregon »

Last edited by oregon on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oregon

Post by oregon »

Last edited by oregon on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oregon

Post by oregon »

The Hackman/Sorsakoski, under a different name, is still being produced today with some pretty cool results. The tooling was acquired and is being put to good use. Google "Saga Spirit LTD" and you should get there. They have Facebook presence as well.

I am happy, happy and happy with both knives. The Daiwa is such a bargain for what you get I ordered a white one.

Thank you for looking.
Last edited by oregon on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
oregon

Post by oregon »

oregon

Post by oregon »

oregon

Post by oregon »

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Video compare: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=68hghBeAo9w

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Those are pretty darn cool, might get me a pair just like'em. 8)
Thanks for showing us these knives.
oregon

Post by oregon »

You are welcome. My pleasure.

The Daiwa will flip open & closed one-handed despite the lite weight handles.

The Sorsakoski was built w/o flipping as a goal. The blade is held captive, open and closed, by detects. In this regard it seems a stretch to place it into the balisong category. Saga Spirit won't ship to the USA, unfortunately. If their balis weren't considered true balis i wonder if it would make a difference on them coming to America. I would like a couple clear, see-thru, balis from Saga. Unobtainable in my experience !@$#.
cardoso5fr

Post by cardoso5fr »

Cool i've never seen the japanese version :D
oregon

Post by oregon »

I simply stumbled into the Daiwa bali while trying to acquire the Hackman/Sorsakoski bali.

Ragnar @ Ragweed Forge told me that the tooling for the Hackman was in the hands of former employees of the Hackman company in Finland. I tracked them down, Saga Spirit, but they gave me no joy by refusing to ship to me in the USA. I did a key word search on Google and ebay and found it online. I have never heard or seen the Daiwa before so @ $25 shipped from Japan I ordered and I am tickled by what I received.

The Daiwa has its cutting edge opposite the latch handle while the Sorsakoski has its cutting edge on the latch handle. This difference can get you cut, luckily I avoided this, trying to flip it without looking. Used for fishing the Daiwa looks like it might survive the dishwasher if kept away from the heating element.

I have a white Daiwa on its way now. Gonna need a red one for photos of all three on the 4th of July! :)

For working on/near the water you could put a lanyard thru the latch in order to better keep it out of the drink (if you didn't want to drill out a lanyard hole in one of the handles).

Has anyone seen the Daiwa in a tackle shop or tackle department of any US retailer?