Older butterfly knives...

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mike030979

Older butterfly knives...

Post by Mike030979 »

Hey folks. Maybe someone can give me some info here. I have two pictures here that I came across on the internet. I've been looking for some of these older chrome butterfly knives with the drop point blade on them. You saw these a lot back in the 90s, but now, I can't seem to find them anywhere. All I see now is the cheap, thin and flimsy copies of them. The first picture that I posted is of the ones I'm looking for. See how the blades are? And the handles are the nice and heavy ones. They may not be the highest quality, but they were VERY sturdy. The second picture I have here is of the cheap, thin copies which I hate. I heard somewhere that there was an import ban from importing the good ones I'm looking for, into the USA. Is this true? Does anyone know where I can get the ones in the first picture? Specifically the ones with the dragons on the handles. Any info would be great. Also, where do these knives come from? What country? Thanks a bunch.

Mike
Chrisadamley

Re: Older butterfly knives...

Post by Chrisadamley »

I have that exact knife, the red one, from your first pic. It was my first balisong......I was lucky my parents kind of embraced/let me collect and have knives at a young age. I think i was like 10 maybe when they let me get that. It was funny to because a friend of mine was going on a vacation to the wisconsin dells or something. He had been there the previous year and saw a shop with these knives. He asked me if i wanted one, and he was going to get one.

So i gave him money for mine. Well, when he got there his parents were not going to let him have one it was too dangerous...they did however let him get mine! :D He was bummed but i got mine so i was happy. Still have it to this day. Its kind of a momento to my early knife years and what got me into collecting.
JimBrown257

Re: Older butterfly knives...

Post by JimBrown257 »

Chrisadamley wrote: Well, when he got there his parents were not going to let him have one it was too dangerous...they did however let him get mine!

Too funny! But it's your friend who has the great story.

That actually sounds like joke Woody Allen would tell about his childhood (I mean, if he collected balisongs).