exiled's new fu42!

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BTB0923

Re: exiled's new fu42!

Post by BTB0923 »

dark2023 wrote:Also, benchmade might try to sue, they've tried to sue boker over stupid stuff before.
They've sued him and won before, just last year actually...

http://www.benchmade.com/news/pr.aspx?id=247

Either he didn't learn his lesson the first time, or he's ensured that somehow these Exiled knives haven't broken any patent laws.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

dark2023 wrote: Also, benchmade might try to sue, they've tried to sue boker over stupid stuff before.
BTB0923 wrote: They've sued him and won before, just last year actually...

http://www.benchmade.com/news/pr.aspx?id=247
I don't expect to see HIS name onna "Good Ones List" anytime soonness...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I bought one of the FU42's. It came neetly packed and actually weighed 5.8 oz. I'm not a flipper and couldn't afford $280-300 for a BM42. I was able to find a few, very few of them and they were all used. That's why I bought this one. The owner of the web sight, J Benson earned his reputation before I ever talked to him. I think he's funny but very committed to his business. As for the knife it is what he says it is. I'm not a flipper so I can't rate that but it does have a good fit and finish. I couldn't tell you where it's made. It has USA on it in two places. I don't own another Butterfly so I'm ignorant about them. I just wanted one on a whim and I didn't want a Chineese made knife that had Benchmade stamped on it or a fake Benchmade box. I may have found something cheeper for myself but at least I knew I'd get a knife from JB when I ordered it. Plus I'm to lazy to chase around for one. So far I haven't put it to work. When I do it will be opening boxes, cutting cardboard and trimming some light wood so I'll see how it handles the work. I'll say this much,it's not a Benchmade and if you mention his name and web sight on some other forums you get your but kicked. You have to think what the heck do you think your getting when it's priced $160 or more less than a used BM42? He can fight his own court battles. They mean nothing to me.
wazu013
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

wazu013 wrote:I bought one of the FU42's. It came neetly packed and actually weighed 5.8 oz. I'm not a flipper and couldn't afford $280-300 for a BM42. I was able to find a few, very few of them and they were all used. That's why I bought this one. The owner of the web sight, J Benson earned his reputation before I ever talked to him. I think he's funny but very committed to his business. As for the knife it is what he says it is. I'm not a flipper so I can't rate that but it does have a good fit and finish. I couldn't tell you where it's made. It has USA on it in two places. I don't own another Butterfly so I'm ignorant about them. I just wanted one on a whim and I didn't want a Chineese made knife that had Benchmade stamped on it or a fake Benchmade box. I may have found something cheeper for myself but at least I knew I'd get a knife from JB when I ordered it. Plus I'm to lazy to chase around for one. So far I haven't put it to work. When I do it will be opening boxes, cutting cardboard and trimming some light wood so I'll see how it handles the work. I'll say this much,it's not a Benchmade and if you mention his name and web sight on some other forums you get your but kicked. You have to think what the heck do you think your getting when it's priced $160 or more less than a used BM42? He can fight his own court battles. They mean nothing to me.
wazu013
I agree he is a harsh person, i ordered from him one time. Got everything i ordered very timely. His customer service is rather brash.

I don't agree with him knocking off the 42 and selling it. Buying clones and/or counterfeits isn't right especially if your a knife collector. Support the good companies that have provided us good service and have been around awhile. Not the rude as hell to all his customers seller that has a beef with a good knife company and then proceeds to copy their design purposely to spit in their faces.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Chrisadamley wrote:
wazu013 wrote:I bought one of the FU42's. It came neetly packed and actually weighed 5.8 oz. I'm not a flipper and couldn't afford $280-300 for a BM42. I was able to find a few, very few of them and they were all used. That's why I bought this one. The owner of the web sight, J Benson earned his reputation before I ever talked to him. I think he's funny but very committed to his business. As for the knife it is what he says it is. I'm not a flipper so I can't rate that but it does have a good fit and finish. I couldn't tell you where it's made. It has USA on it in two places. I don't own another Butterfly so I'm ignorant about them. I just wanted one on a whim and I didn't want a Chineese made knife that had Benchmade stamped on it or a fake Benchmade box. I may have found something cheeper for myself but at least I knew I'd get a knife from JB when I ordered it. Plus I'm to lazy to chase around for one. So far I haven't put it to work. When I do it will be opening boxes, cutting cardboard and trimming some light wood so I'll see how it handles the work. I'll say this much,it's not a Benchmade and if you mention his name and web sight on some other forums you get your but kicked. You have to think what the heck do you think your getting when it's priced $160 or more less than a used BM42? He can fight his own court battles. They mean nothing to me.
wazu013
I agree he is a harsh person, i ordered from him one time. Got everything i ordered very timely. His customer service is rather brash.

I don't agree with him knocking off the 42 and selling it. Buying clones and/or counterfeits isn't right especially if your a knife collector. Support the good companies that have provided us good service and have been around awhile. Not the rude as hell to all his customers seller that has a beef with a good knife company and then proceeds to copy their design purposely to spit in their faces.
This is the type of reply I or anyone else gets when you mention RSI or any part of J Benson's way of doing things. I totally agree with you. I own a few hundred knives all originals all mint or near mint mostly Case , Kabar, Puma, Boker, real Italian Autos, Lone wolf, Buck,Benchmade and couple custom autos from Vallotton.No Chineese knives and I would normally not give any companies knock off a look. This may have been my third time and I had my reasons. Because of buying the FU42 I have pre ordered a five of the new Benchmade BM62 which I'll be lucky if they actually make enough of them and I found a NOS BM42 and bought it and I found a Pacific Coast Cutlery original. I had no Butterfly's but needed to know something about dimensions that are personal to me and I don't have time to get ripped off two or three times befor somthing gets delivered. I put a little reply to a thread that was already up and running. Maybe I deserve to be ripped for doing it but I felt it was my best way to make sure people here could get real info instead of hot air and figure out if I even wanted to start a Balisong/Bantangas collection. Now I have plunk down many bucks on 5 BM62's and one NOS BM42 to just put in one of my cabinets and I'm looking at Bradleys and real Batangas knives. The regular pocket knife collecting world had taken a fall the new products aren't thrilling me so I needed to know how the Butterfly knife industry is going. The easiest way was to that was buy a knife from J Benson then let people know and sit back and get told how dumb I am. In fact my mother and sister had some interesting references from classy people. On another forum I did just that and before the first day was over I had 77 replies. I was called everything in the book. In contrast I posted a picture of 3 of my best Case products and all I got back was 3 replies that were sincere and a hand full of Case's new Tec X line ruining the company. Maybe a total of 9 replies in all. Brother the Balisong business is strong and has opportunities and excitement. All I have to do now is load up and start to buy and sell my way to a cool new line of knives. The FU42 is what it is. Right now it on my golf cart in an open garage at a country club. Let's see how it handles saltwater air and Racoon urine.
wazu013
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

I have dealt with J Benson several times and will continue to do so. He is an honest, straightforward kinda guy and he has never treated me rudely or with disrespect. I once brought up his feud with Benchmade and he just brushed it aside. He didn't want to talk about it.
I sell knives as well as collect and if I need a knife to go to Brazil, France or wherever JB is the guy I go to because I know I will get a fair price and the knife will get to my customer. Bottom Line: J Benson and roadsideimports.com is at the top of my 'Good Ones List'. If you haven't dealt with him don't criticize him. If you have and you've been unfairly or fairly treated then tell us about it.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

jimbeam wrote:I once brought up his feud with Benchmade and he just brushed it aside. He didn't want to talk about it.
Seriously? I find that kind of surprising given all the crap on his website, and his current marketing strategy. Seems like he wouldn't want to shut up about it. :lol:

I met JB on youtube several years ago and he seemed like a pretty nice guy. That being said, I've seem him go on some really long-winded rants on the forums. If you put yourself out there like that, you better be ready to take a lot of criticism.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

If you haven't dealt with him don't criticize him. If you have and you've been unfairly or fairly treated then tell us about it.
I've dealt with him a few times. He does well, and even stands behind his product.
I ordered a stiletto from him, it was mildly defective. I asked him about it and he took it back and sent me a new one. I Was VERY pleased.

He will even tell you about the quality of the products, unlike bladeplay that says the little $12 stilettos are awesome, Mr.JB tells you they are not of very high quality and not to expect them to be equivalent to an SKM.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Knifeguy420

Post by Knifeguy420 »

i too have also delt with jb serveral times and roadsideimports and not once have i ever had a bad experience with the guy, hes very straight forward and tells it like it is, but thats fine by me! any problems he will fix not a problem, and hes gone to great deals to make sure that i get the item i ordered. i will continue to use his services knowing that hes supplying me with good product and most of all HONESTY! his fueds between other companys are no problem of mine. hes on my good ones list
' Snitches get stitches '
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

jimbeam wrote:He is an honest, straightforward kinda guy and he has never treated me rudely or with disrespect.
dark2023 wrote:He will even tell you about the quality of the products, unlike bladeplay that says the little $12 stilettos are awesome, Mr.JB tells you they are not of very high quality and not to expect them to be equivalent to an SKM.
Knifeguy420 wrote:i will continue to use his services knowing that hes supplying me with good product and most of all HONESTY! his fueds between other companys are no problem of mine. hes on my good ones list
Since you guys are so adamant about how open and honest JB is, then I implore one of you to bring his attention to this thread so he can answer this question...
BTB0923 wrote:Can someone with more knowledge than I confirm or deny that the "Exiled" FU42 balisongs are made of parts made in the USA? Or are they made in China and then assembled in USA?
On his website he describes many of the parts as being American made, but leaves out any mention of the blades and handles. They look strikingly similar to the counterfeit BM42's from China, yet he stamps "USA" on the knife and says they are "made in America". If the parts are coming from China, then that's not honesty in my book. If they are made of Chinese parts then it should be made clear to the consumers, because a lot of people care about that type of thing when deciding whether or not to make a purchase.
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

BTB0923 wrote:
jimbeam wrote:He is an honest, straightforward kinda guy and he has never treated me rudely or with disrespect.
dark2023 wrote:He will even tell you about the quality of the products, unlike bladeplay that says the little $12 stilettos are awesome, Mr.JB tells you they are not of very high quality and not to expect them to be equivalent to an SKM.
Knifeguy420 wrote:i will continue to use his services knowing that hes supplying me with good product and most of all HONESTY! his fueds between other companys are no problem of mine. hes on my good ones list
Since you guys are so adamant about how open and honest JB is, then I implore one of you to bring his attention to this thread so he can answer this question...
BTB0923 wrote:Can someone with more knowledge than I confirm or deny that the "Exiled" FU42 balisongs are made of parts made in the USA? Or are they made in China and then assembled in USA?
On his website he describes many of the parts as being American made, but leaves out any mention of the blades and handles. They look strikingly similar to the counterfeit BM42's from China, yet he stamps "USA" on the knife and says they are "made in America". If the parts are coming from China, then that's not honesty in my book. If they are made of Chinese parts then it should be made clear to the consumers, because a lot of people care about that type of thing when deciding whether or not to make a purchase.
BTB I suggest you ask him directly. I'm not trying to defend the guy really just tell about the kind of dealings I have with him. There's no knife industry where I live so I really don't have a dog in this fight. I buy and sell what I and my customers want. Higher end knives I only buy US. I will buy Italian if I have too.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

I may have worded my last post a bit too harshly, there's no "fight". I'm not saying he's a bad guy or anything. Since you guys kept on repeating how honest he is I decided to play devil's advocate. I'm really just more curious than anything, since they are stamped USA on the latch.
Knifeguy420

Post by Knifeguy420 »

BTB im also just really talking about personal deals with the guy, i to also have noticed theres no mention of where the blade and handles were made and there is a stamp on the blade that says US! So im hoping it was made in the USA! like it says, but in the end until i have a real bm42 and a fake one i cannot speculate whether or not the handles are the same as the counterfeit ones, but i am curious myself and am looking for a fake bm42 aswell as real one! I too live in a country with no knife industry! Hell im sure if you could hurt someone by sneezing on them my country would ban sneezing haha :D im lucky to even get the knives i get! but all that aside its just another knife to me in my collection that i will enjoy for along time to come! The USA stamps are on the blade and latch And i will post better and closer pics of the handle if someones got a fakebm42 that they could do the same, that might help! 8)
' Snitches get stitches '
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

It was nice to see the last 4 or 5 post' come after mine. He is what they said. I know his Benchmade fight has hurt his business. It can't be easy to refuse to sell a brand like Benchmade.I think the lawsuit he lost was a little weird. I have read it and it really seemed that both parties should have figured how to get it done and over fast. His FU42 is an example of his sense of humor and it has hurt him. It can't be cheap for him. He hadles the novice buyer with help and he gives as good as he gets. That's why I always say his fued with Benchmade is not my problem and means nothing to me. He does get his Roadsideimports name mentioned hundreds of times on several forums. The more international the forum the less anyone cares. It's the American forums that go nuts over him. If you live in Europe every American knife is an import.I think it was once said that as long as their talking about you you are doing good. Try calling him sometime and ask him anything, he will say exactly what he thinks. Which to me is what any forum should be doing. Banter and discussion are great fun as long as it's not personal. I have allot problems with the way I'm told China treats it's workforce but it's the way it's been for centuries. It's like trying to get Southeast Asia and the Middle East to stop fighting. It'll never happen. It seems we use the two areas to give us a wartime economy. Then after we burn up enough inventory and turn the stomachs and break the hearts of enough Americans we pull out wait untill we need to get some of our big companies to start working again then we wheel back in. American workers that are working are lucky and it's great to be American. Plus I don't know was Benchmade on any list of knife companies that don't have knives made in China? That's a curious question to me. In other words have you ever bought a Benchmade and when you opened it did the word China pop up? I'm serious does Benchmade make all their knives in the USA? I really don't know.
wazu013
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Knifeguy420 wrote:BTB im also just really talking about personal deals with the guy, i to also have noticed theres no mention of where the blade and handles were made and there is a stamp on the blade that says US! So im hoping it was made in the USA! like it says, but in the end until i have a real bm42 and a fake one i cannot speculate whether or not the handles are the same as the counterfeit ones, but i am curious myself and am looking for a fake bm42 aswell as real one! I too live in a country with no knife industry! Hell im sure if you could hurt someone by sneezing on them my country would ban sneezing haha :D im lucky to even get the knives i get! but all that aside its just another knife to me in my collection that i will enjoy for along time to come! The USA stamps are on the blade and latch And i will post better and closer pics of the handle if someones got a fakebm42 that they could do the same, that might help! 8)
Check this link out. It's a very good comparison of a real BM42 and a counterfeit one. The FU42 is somewhere between.

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 42#p218060