exiled's new fu42!

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jimbeam

Re: exiled's new fu42!

Post by jimbeam »

BTB0923 wrote:I may have worded my last post a bit too harshly, there's no "fight". I'm not saying he's a bad guy or anything. Since you guys kept on repeating how honest he is I decided to play devil's advocate. I'm really just more curious than anything, since they are stamped USA on the latch.
BTB if you do a google search you will find many of the mainstream knife dealers are selling the fu42 and on one ( pvk I believe ) they have made this statement:

THE FU42 IS NOT A COPY OF THE BENCHMADE BM42 IT IS IT'S OWN CREATION WITH ITS OWN LATCH DEVICE MAKING IT UNIQUE BUT THIS PRODUCT IS INTENDED TO DIRECTLY COMPETE AGAINST BENCHMADE KNIFE COMPANY WITH A LOW COST AFFORDABLE ALTERNATIVE PRODUCT.

According to the websites selling these knives they are made in the USA in Denver. CO.
BTW apparently the 'FU' is a direct slam at BM. Must really piss them off. Also BTW the word on the internet is that Benchmade as well as other large knife companies are having parts for their lower end knives made in China and ASSEMBLED in the US therefore enabling them to claim Made in USA. It's all perfectly legal.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

jimbeam wrote:BTB if you do a google search you will find many of the mainstream knife dealers are selling the fu42 and on one ( pvk I believe ) they have made this statement:

THE FU42 IS NOT A COPY OF THE BENCHMADE BM42 IT IS IT'S OWN CREATION WITH ITS OWN LATCH DEVICE MAKING IT UNIQUE BUT THIS PRODUCT IS INTENDED TO DIRECTLY COMPETE AGAINST BENCHMADE KNIFE COMPANY WITH A LOW COST AFFORDABLE ALTERNATIVE PRODUCT.
Yes, I've seen the video PVK posted on youtube. They had to disable the comments because they were getting barraged with hate :lol: They can say it's not a copy of a BM42 all they want to, but it clearly is. The only difference I can tell is the latch, which is a nice feature btw. I don't think anybody has done a balisong latch like that before.
jimbeam wrote:According to the websites selling these knives they are made in the USA in Denver. CO.
BTW apparently the 'FU' is a direct slam at BM. Must really piss them off. Also BTW the word on the internet is that Benchmade as well as other large knife companies are having parts for their lower end knives made in China and ASSEMBLED in the US therefore enabling them to claim Made in USA. It's all perfectly legal.
Seems unethical to me. "Assembled in USA", ok...but "made in USA", not so much.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

wazu013 wrote:Check this link out. It's a very good comparison of a real BM42 and a counterfeit one. The FU42 is somewhere between.

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 42#p218060
I forgot about that thread! There's some good info there.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

I remember seeing a video about benchmade, or someone reputable talking about them. And saying they got rid of their "red" line of knives....the cheeaper imported ones. I believe in the video they were talking with a rep and he said they were doing that do have all their knvies made in USA. So i believe all their knives at this point are made in US...i know at one point they weren't, only their cheaper ones.

Also, while i do know that he is an honest person as far as he will get you the product you want. His whole benchmade debacle was a big mistake for him. Especially this FU42. Seems just ridiculous and childish. No doubt his business has suffered for it, and rightfully so.

But as mentioned it also could have helped it i guess. If only so many people knew of him before, ALOT more know of him now. So perhaps that increased his business enough that hes fine with it.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Just a point of interest: While some knife companies can and are importing parts for assembly, it is illeagl to do it for butterfly knives. The law on that style was written years ago including it with switchblades as one hand opening knives. I'm not saying they aren't doing it, I'm saying it's still illeagl.
wazu013
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
Knifeguy420

Post by Knifeguy420 »

Switchblade laws that include butterfly knives are out dated and rediculous! Nowadays what the " government" considers illegal, we see everyday! Knives sold in walmart with thumb studs clearly is to be opened with one hand! Back in the day pocket knives actually needed two hands to open! But then again we do live in a world where we blame the "knives" and "guns" and not the people that misuse them! Because we all know if you take away a knife that opens to fast and guns the worlds just gonna be a big happy place because people cant figure out How to hurt eachother! Without a switchblade or gun it just has to be impossible, not to mention assuming that people that have switchblades or guns are intending to use them for wrongful doings! Government mumbo jumbo is all it is :D
' Snitches get stitches '
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Switchblade laws that include butterfly knives are out dated and rediculous! Nowadays what the " government" considers illegal, we see everyday! Knives sold in walmart with thumb studs clearly is to be opened with one hand! Back in the day pocket knives actually needed two hands to open! But then again we do live in a world where we blame the "knives" and "guns" and not the people that misuse them! Because we all know if you take away a knife that opens to fast and guns the worlds just gonna be a big happy place because people cant figure out How to hurt eachother! Without a switchblade or gun it just has to be impossible, not to mention assuming that people that have switchblades or guns are intending to use them for wrongful doings! Government mumbo jumbo is all it is :D
Not to mention that anyone who truly intends to use a knife (criminally or otherwise) is going to have it draw/open and ready before needed. Only an idiot opens a switchblade (or any knife like that) in the face of an enemy or victim. In short, if someone is going to use a knife to harm an individual they will already have it open at the time.

This makes how the knife open irrelevant. The only time a switchblade really shines (other than in sunlight :lol: ) as a weapon, is in a defensive scenario were you may not have it open until you realize a need (at which point you'll want it to open as fast as possible).

Lastly, the reason switchblades are condemned is because they open fast, but lets compare this against a fixed blade knife.

Using a switchblade requires a person to
1-draw it
(1.5-take the safety off, if there is one)
2-open it

Using a fixed blade requires a user to
1-draw the knife

Hmmm, so this proves that fixed blade can be used one handed and are even faster to put in operation than the quickest of switchblades, maybe they should be subject to stupid restrictive laws too. :roll:
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

Personally I don't care if switchblade knives are legalized or not. I don't carry a knife usually and where I live anyone carrying any type of knife is usually an old man, thug or wanna be gangsta. I have enough crap in my pockets already. I feel perfectly safe carrying my keys and keyring kubaton in the case of emergency.
I collect and sell knives and my interest in them is limited strictly to their esthetic qualities.
Knifeguy420

Post by Knifeguy420 »

Ok so i finally found a bm42! It has the 154cm stamp on the blade not the 440c, all the fakes ive seen have the 440c stamp and so im curious did they ever make any fakes of the bm42 with the 154cm stamp? Anyone know?
' Snitches get stitches '
linos

Post by linos »

these are in fact Chinese counterfeits worked over...there is a review on another forum with very good pictures, you got ripped of ...the latch is from the Brandley Kimura bali
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

linos wrote:these are in fact Chinese counterfeits worked over...there is a review on another forum with very good pictures, you got ripped of ...the latch is from the Brandley Kimura bali
Linos,
PM me with the link to the review. I know which forum Cardosa did the review but I can't find it.
Thanks,
wazu013
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I do not want to throw any names around but...

A "certain" seller that claims his honesty may or may not know what he has but is "claiming" it to be a Vintage 60's Puma Medici switchblade Made In Germany.
I am very familiar with Puma knives and never did Puma make a knife without their name or logo.
The knife this person is selling is most likely made by Jndiana of Maniago,Italy.
I have the exact same knife in light horn,paid 65 bucks for mine.
A knife expert I am not but I know Puma knives well and this is no Puma.

However I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he may have bought it under the pretenses it is a genuine Puma Medici.
But this is why a person should research his products and/or ask someone that knows before listing something as a "Vintage 60's etc etc... :idea:
wazu013 wrote: I know which forum Cardosa did the review but I can't find it.
Thanks,
wazu013
Here is Mr. Cardoso's comparison of the counterfeit BM bali and the genuine BM-
http://talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=9 ... 60#p218060
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Viking45 wrote:
wazu013 wrote: I know which forum Cardosa did the review but I can't find it.
Thanks,
wazu013
Here is Mr. Cardoso's comparison of the counterfeit BM bali and the genuine BM-
http://talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=9 ... 60#p218060
Viking, while that is an informative review to discern the fakes from the authentics; Linos is actually referring to a review of the FU42 specifically. That review is on the USN forum. I'd link it but you have to have a login name there to view posts. He basically describes the FU42 as just being a Chinese clone (as many of us suspected) that has been fitted with a Bradley Kimura latch.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Ok thanks BTB. I was just chiming in on some of the other comments.
I am not familiar with the FU42.
linos

Post by linos »

That review is on the USN forum. I'd link it but you have to have a login name there to view posts. He basically describes the FU42 as just being a Chinese clone (as many of us suspected) that has been fitted with a Bradley Kimura latch.
can you post the link i can not figure out how to do the search there...LOL