Pinoy SteelWhen you have

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bobby Cadillac

Pinoy SteelWhen you have

Post by Bobby Cadillac »

when you have a great experience with a seller people should know about it.

I've been dick'n around with switchblades and Batangas knives since the 50's . I'm a bonified greaser...a stone North Philly banger. My first Batangas were introduced to me by Filipinos that served with me aboard ship in the early 60s. I've accumulated a few collectibles along the way (WWII Vintage). I have had Bou Cou modern Asian and American made balis along the way, and own a couple of Benchmades that live in my gun safe. Well, I came upon the Pinoy Steel Website and immediately fell in love. Great stuff! Priced Right. If you like the real mc-coy, here it is and you won't believe the speed in which he delivers. Authentic batangas knives built to satisfy the most discriminating collector.

Bob Shirley (bobby cadillac) :D
CDR_Glock

Re: Pinoy SteelWhen you have

Post by CDR_Glock »

Jay is having some surpass the old makers with thicker latches, higher grade steel blades, many more exotic types of wood, including African wedge, cocobolo and stuff like that. He has the best selection I have ever seen.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I've really been fiddling with getting one for myself for Christmas. This or an AKC 9'' flatgrind swinguard.

I think you just helped me make my choice, a well made balisong with wooden scales is going to be more useful and practical than a swiguard knife.

Also, they'll be making swinguard knives for many years, but you never know how long Pinoy Steel will be around (seeing as how the retail part is a one man operation)

Out of curiosity, what did you get from him?
Any pictures?
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

dark2023 wrote:I've really been fiddling with getting one for myself for Christmas. This or an AKC 9'' flatgrind swinguard.

I think you just helped me make my choice, a well made balisong with wooden scales is going to be more useful and practical than a swiguard knife.

Also, they'll be making swinguard knives for many years, but you never know how long Pinoy Steel will be around (seeing as how the retail part is a one man operation)

Out of curiosity, what did you get from him?
Any pictures?

Numbers refer to length in cm

Kamagong trainer 24, 29
Kamagong Kris
Corian Kris 33
Camel bone come 19
Camel bone spear 39
33 cm Buyod
Others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUIlIfvC ... ata_player

The others I don't remember. Others like the kamagong/bone kris, bone and gutmans were from the forums.

Flipping a Kris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF7KlQFe ... ata_player

Flipping a comb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MwECeGO ... ata_player

I liked the comb so much I ordered a larger one to actually use as a comb - I'm still waiting on it to be made. Combs are harder to make and take longer than blades. I enjoy the comb as much as a knife.

Sent from my iPad
PinoySteel

Post by PinoySteel »

Thanks guys! As long as I can make a living doing what I do, I'm not going anywhere. What goes on behind the scenes is a lot more involved than many might think, but I do enjoy it, especially when sales are good! I have lots of great, great stuff to put up on the sites, but I have a ton of Christmas orders to get out ASAP first. Hopefully in 2012 I can take someone on who can help me out, but I really do enjoy the degree of control I have.
PinoySteel

Post by PinoySteel »

Dark2023:

As someone who collects both FHM balisongs and Italian switchblades, I think you need at least one of each. :) The balisongs are definitely far more usable than the stilettos for actually cutting stuff, but they are both purpose-built knives, and we all know what they're designed for. :mrgreen:
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

As someone who collects both FHM balisongs and Italian switchblades, I think you need at least one of each. :) The balisongs are definitely far more usable than the stilettos for actually cutting stuff, but they are both purpose-built knives, and we all know what they're designed for. :mrgreen:
I plan on getting all, it's just which I get first.

Also, what do you mean we all know what they're designed for? From what I've read a balisong is designed for use as a utility knife.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
PinoySteel

Post by PinoySteel »

dark2023 wrote:
I plan on getting all, it's just which I get first.

Also, what do you mean we all know what they're designed for? From what I've read a balisong is designed for use as a utility knife.
The modern ones (e.g., Benchmade, Bradley Kimura) would serve well as utility knives. Balisongs in the Philippines have much the same purpose as stilettos in Italy: putting holes in people! The labaha profile has long been considered a utility profile, however, since it is deeply hollowground and often razor sharp. Compared to most modern balisongs, you have to expect more play once broken in than you would with a modern balisong, although we will very shortly be testing American hardware on the FHMs to see if it'll work out at increasing the durability of the pins.
PinoySteel

Post by PinoySteel »

After reading my post from last night again, I'd like to add a few points: balisongs were, originally, utility knives. Due to prohibitions on the carrying of blades by civilians under Spanish and, later, American rule, the balisong evolved into a concealable knife used for personal defense, and sometimes, for attacks or holdups. They are still perceived as weapons used for street crime today, although the cheaper balisongs used by hoodlums are worlds apart from the high grade balis I offer, which are outside the reach of many Filipinos.

Sadly, this means most balisongs made today are cheaper and lower quality to appeal to the masses, who often pick up cheap Chinese balis because they're made with stainless steel and require less maintenance. A Filipino cop showed me his Chinese balisong last night. I smiled and nodded, but I was really disappointed to see a Chinese balisong in a cop's hand. :(

Slowly but surely, Filipino blade culture is changing. I also saw a landscaper using a Chinese stainless machete rather than a hand forged carbon steel one. Sadly, throughout Asia, people are eschewing carbon steel in favor of stainless (ANY stainless).
hanuman3

Post by hanuman3 »

Thanks for the recommendation and touch of personal history, I am sure you have many great stories to tell!
“CANNIBAL, n. A gastronome of the old school who preserves the simple tastes and adheres to the natural diet of the pre-pork period.”
- Ambrose Bierce