Pinoy Knife Bolo: Balisong Perfection

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
CDR_Glock

Pinoy Knife Bolo: Balisong Perfection

Post by CDR_Glock »

Chatting with Matt 10 days ago, I asked him what he was working on.  He said he had some new insert material: G10/CF.   He was going to put a Bolo Knife up.  I said wow! A 5" Bolo blade?  

So someone claimed dubs and I was pretty bummed.  Then I got a phone call.  Was I interested?  F! Yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW97HRYT ... ata_player

Anodized titanium bolsters, latch, liners and spacers.  
G10/CF inserts
Bushings and PB Washers
5" blade
6.5 oz

Balisong perfection!

This ain't grandpa's safe queen.

Last edited by CDR_Glock on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
dark2023

Re: Pinoy Knife Bolo: Balisong Perfection

Post by dark2023 »

By Pinoy, you mean FHM, right?
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

oh my,,,,i want..... :shock:
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

dark2023 wrote:By Pinoy, you mean FHM, right?
It is Filipino handmade inspired. Matt trained there. He makes knives out of Washington.

It is modern technology blended with traditional FHM style.

He makes some of the best balisong knives. He understands what goes into them. He is a perfectionist. He knows what makes a great flipper. He has a great sense of style.

This one is a treasured knife. But I flip this like I do any other in my collection.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Can you post a link to this Matt's website, or send me a PM with info on how to contact him?
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

dark2023 wrote:Can you post a link to this Matt's website, or send me a PM with info on how to contact him?
His email is lockwiz@Juno.com

I don't think he has a website. He should. I need to ask him.

He goes by Pinoy Knife. Not to confuse with Pinoy Steel. They are two different entitities.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Yeah, I've been looking at Pinoy Steel for awhile, I figure if a good FHM is what the Philipinoes carry, then it'd be good enough for me, and they're not too expensive for my small budget. What does a basic, bare bones, Pinoy Knife balisong run (ballpark).

Would you suggest a Pinoy Knife balisong OVER a pinoy steel balisong for someone who's been into balisongs for about 6 month, dosent have much money, and plans to do EDC with the knife?
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

dark2023 wrote:Yeah, I've been looking at Pinoy Steel for awhile, I figure if a good FHM is what the Philipinoes carry, then it'd be good enough for me, and they're not too expensive for my small budget. What does a basic, bare bones, Pinoy Knife balisong run (ballpark).

Would you suggest a Pinoy Knife balisong OVER a pinoy steel balisong for someone who's been into balisongs for about 6 month, dosent have much money, and plans to do EDC with the knife?
I have to say that these are knives of different classes and price tiers.

The Pinoy Steel FHMs are run by Jay K in Hong Kong. The BEST selection of high end Filipino handmade Balisongs. Name the blade, the inserts and channels and he can get it or have it made. His knives on average run $100-$180. Special ones are in the $350 range - usually a very special master builder FHM. He is a great guy to deal with.

Pinoy knife is Matt Cook out of Washington state. He is a high end custom maker. The cost of the knife depends upon materials and labor. He is a perfectionist. He knows what he is doing. His knives from the basic, are running from $525 and up. You are only limited by your wallet. He has built fixed blades and swords in the $10k range.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Wow, $500, I expected about that much, but I'm still suprised. I guess I'll be going with a Pinoy steel knife. Thanks for the advice.
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

dark2023 wrote:Wow, $500, I expected about that much, but I'm still suprised. I guess I'll be going with a Pinoy steel knife. Thanks for the advice.
The Pinoy Knife is a MUST HAVE! I have 2!
hanuman3

Post by hanuman3 »

I love that blade profile.
“CANNIBAL, n. A gastronome of the old school who preserves the simple tastes and adheres to the natural diet of the pre-pork period.”
- Ambrose Bierce