1970s Pacific Cutlery Butterfly

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bali4Play

Re: 1970s Pacific Cutlery Butterfly

Post by Bali4Play »

Hello, I have read and found your posting to be quite informative. I have recently got my hands on the PC10 Model (pre-Benchmade) Balisong that looks exactly like the pic on your page. I was hoping to find out the value on this Balisong, It has the same US PAT NO of 4,364,174 and also has the stamped butterfly figure shown on your pic. How ever there are some things that are a little confusing to me about this knife I have aquired. 1) The handles are the exact same size,shape, but mine has sink holes like the Bm42 does.If you could offer me any additional information about this knife, such as the value of one of these, maybe learn from you or somebody that shares the knowledge about these blades..2) why are there pins holding the blade instead of hex screws ? upon closer inspection when working out a deal for this knife, I seen that these pins holding the blade are tough to see cause they are shaved down real smooth, they have to be VERY DURABLE cause for a knife in this kind of condition and as old as you say it is, There is very little blade play ... or 3rd) how come there isnt a 2nd tang pin? I have always wanted a Nice quality BALISONG from Benchmade, Bear and Sons, something made in America, what ever..And the last thing Id like to ask is, The length to weight ratio of this model, makes it tough to control when flipping and so forth, Wish it was longer like the BM42 , God that knife is awesome..If you know of a way where I could sell, or trade the knife I just bought...1970's PC10 (pre- Benchmade) US PAT NO 1,364,174 Made in USA , also having the same stamped butterfly with the word "BALISONG" through the middle, anything sent back to me would be appreciated, thanks and hope to hear back soon..
Bali4Play

Post by Bali4Play »

What kind of value would a good condition Pacific Cutlery balisong be on the PC10model? Are these rare and/or what could the price range be on one of these knives?
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

Bali4Play wrote:What kind of value would a good condition Pacific Cutlery balisong be on the PC10model? Are these rare and/or what could the price range be on one of these knives?
I think you might get more reaction to your post if 1. you introduced yourself 2. posted in the Balisong section of this forum.
Bali4Play

Post by Bali4Play »

Hi guys, My name is Brent, and I found this forum to be quite informative..I too have been lucky enough to get my hands on a great vintage Pacific Cutlery (Pre-Benchmade) PC10 model, its shown to be a late 70's model and I love it..only thing about it im not liking about this balisong is the size to wieght ratio, 3in blade with that kind of wieght makes it tough for me to flip it as fast and accurate as Id like. in short, iv seen here that you all have a vast amount of knowledge about this subject and could really use your help..The value? and if there is a way to make a trade for a longer model, I love benchmade products, however Im new with balisongs and id like to put this beautiful razor sharp blade of this PC10 in the hands of somebody that knows the quality and can appreciate and enjoy it more than I could..please guys, if you could send me an email or coulod call 972-370-6008, maybe we could help each other out? Iv looked everywhere I could and cannot find what im looking for as far as any list of value for this model balisong. if you or anyone you know can give me a shout, i would be great..thanks guys, Brent
Bali4Play

Post by Bali4Play »

jimbeam wrote:
Bali4Play wrote:What kind of value would a good condition Pacific Cutlery balisong be on the PC10model? Are these rare and/or what could the price range be on one of these knives?
I think you might get more reaction to your post if 1. you introduced yourself 2. posted in the Balisong section of this forum.
ok, i dont mean to be rude, im new here, and cannot find anything about the value of this 70's PC10 model balisong..I am Brent, and I was wondering if you know of some links or sites to assist me in the info I am seeking..please let me know at your convenience, anything would help. thanks
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Brent, there aren't a lot of balisong guys here on this forum, which might be why you aren't getting an answer to your question. I hate to steer people to other forums because this one does have a huge wealth of knowledge, but you might have more luck on the JerzeeDevil forum. There are lots of bali-enthusiasts there and I think I've seen PC10's come up for sale there before. gl
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I just traded a Buck110 auto for a knife that looks like yours with a weehawk blade. It's onlu a little over 4" closed. I sent it to Matt Cook to put some life back into it. Here's some before pics. Tell me what youn think.
Thanks,
wazu013
Attachments
Balisiong 039.JPG
Balisiong 039.JPG (152.71 KiB) Viewed 19499 times
Balisiong 035.JPG
Balisiong 035.JPG (162.95 KiB) Viewed 19499 times
Balisiong 025.JPG
Balisiong 025.JPG (108.61 KiB) Viewed 19499 times
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I just traded a Buck 110 D/A auto for a PCC10. The Buck's cost was $120 bucks and the only guy I could get with expierence to get the PCC10 in it's original condition couldn't quote me but he told allot of funny jokes and left me with the impression he could get it done for $300 -$350. So it looks like I'm going to have about $450 bucks invested in a $150 dollar knife. The repair man said when people hear he was the mechanic that put it back in shape that I'll get most of my money back. I have sewen his work and it is amazing. It was a sentimantal trade with a relative so I figure I'll put it away for my grandchildren to get ripped off when they sell it. I just found out about a line of balisings that says it is going up against Benchmade's BM42. In fact it's product number is FU42 I'll post a link to it below. The man selling them has been after Benchmade for some time now. One thing he has always been with me is honest and he backs all of his stuff up. I like him.
http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/ ... atid/82776 Read it over it looks like you will be able to get a solid balisong made in Denver Co. for a reasonable price that is sold by a guy that you can get in touch with. When was the last tim Benchmade actually sent you an answer to your question? I always get refrences' to stuff in there add with the promise they will get in touch. I belong to their club and spend plenty of time on them but I get nothing back. Now it looks like someone has figured a way to make a good Balisong without crying about the cost of material. Good god man use materials youn can afford. Your groupies will still give 3-4 hundred bucks for it . after all the sheath is wirth at least $100.. Either way I say buy one of the new companies products soon because Benchmade likes to put companies in court then sell their Bali-songs for twice the money. Just the other day I saw someone selling the Benchmade Kydex (Nylon) sheath for $100. Either way I think this is going to be interesting. I already bought mine so I'll put some pics up next to my $450 dollal PCC10 when I get them together.
wazu013
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I had my PCC Bali cleaned up by Pinoy knife (Matt Cook), It's actually hard to get a good pic because of the flash. I'm sure you will notice the difference.
wazu013
Attachments
PCC after Matt Cook's spa 007.JPG
PCC after Matt Cook's spa 007.JPG (186.45 KiB) Viewed 19198 times
PCC after Matt Cook's spa 003.JPG
PCC after Matt Cook's spa 003.JPG (177.54 KiB) Viewed 19198 times
Knifeguy420

Post by Knifeguy420 »

Matt did an awesome job of restoring it, even with the flash you can see how big of difference the before and after is. :D
' Snitches get stitches '
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Knifeguy420 wrote:Matt did an awesome job of restoring it, even with the flash you can see how big of difference the before and after is. :D
Knifeguy420.
Thanks Knife420. Matt replaced the pivots and tang pin then hand polished the whole knife. I can't overstate how good it looks, like new.
Now I'm on a search for a sheath and box to match.
wazu013
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Ahhhh! OK! Now I understand, I just purchased a Model 68 Utility Folder, used, nice shape, eBay. I thought it was a Benchmade. What is this type f knife worth? Just wondering. Thanks!
Belmont800
arielado

Post by arielado »

I really like that thanks for that picture.
merKar

Post by merKar »

Ahhhh! OK! Now I understand. :D
genting
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a couple better pics. After more research with Balislinger he identified it as a rare Hollywood BM 30. It would have been made at their Hollywood address before their move to Oregon.