Battle Angel Alita Blade

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Shag

Battle Angel Alita Blade

Post by Shag »

I know all the "real" balisong experts are going to laugh at this topic and roll their eyes, but regardless, I'd like to ask if anyone has any information/experience with something called:

Battle Angel Alita Blade

What it apparently is, is a reproduction of a bali-sword used in some Oriental cartoon.

It's a fairly hefty item, specs:

Length (Open): 38"
Length (Closed): 20 3/4"
Blade: 17 1/2", sharpened 440 Stainless Steel
Handle: 20 1/4", Metal frame with oak side panels
Weight: 10 Pounds

Before anyone asks, no, I have no intentions of doing some of the insane stunts and twirls, etc with this thing that are done with the standard balisongs.

I just found it to be a visually interesting piece. As usual I have a lot of questions and would welcome any real information anyone has on it.

Does anyone have one of these, can anyone give me some info on quality, construction, etc? I realize it isn't a BM model, and is made in China, so there will not be tolerances of 0.001". I am concerned with how it is overall for fit, finish, tolerances, etc. I don't want 1/8" wobble or slack or any other sloppy manufacturing like that.

Basically is it a complete piece of junk or is an interesting, decent, worthwhile display piece?

Can it be disassembled? Going by the picture, it looks like they used hex head bolts for construction and the pivot points? Are the wooden side slabs removable? Does it function how it is supposed to? Do all the parts lock up properly, align properly, etc?

Any and ALL information welcomed.

I am considering getting one as an unusual piece - I haven't ever bought a 'made in China' piece before, so I don't want to be shocked by what gets delivered. I would appreciate as much first-hand, hands-on information as possible.

I've attached a sample picture.

As always, feel free to PM me! 8)
Attachments
alita butterfly.jpg
alita butterfly.jpg (120.58 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
Albert Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
TRYKER

Re: Battle Angel Alita Blade

Post by TRYKER »

I'VE had a couple as attention getters on my table at the swap meets, they are heavy, work as they should, carbon steel blade thats not heat treated or hardened. it's a wall or mantel piece for display in my openion. i paid around $40 for them
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Twinbalis

Re: Battle Angel Alita Blade

Post by Twinbalis »

You can buy baliswords in a few places. I have actually seen people use them, although they are used more like nunchaku then a balisong. They look awesome when they are swinging but if you want to learn be very carful.