My Benchmade 42

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jeff

My Benchmade 42

Post by Jeff »

Pacific Cutlery and Benchmade have over the years earned the reputation of high quality knives. It looks to me as if rather than making many different models they focus on 1 or 2 at a time. The models last a handful of years and change. The now older discontinued model begins to appreciate dollar wise quikly.
I bought an early Pacific Cutlery model and became fascinated with the overall design and the quality. I spent the last month online (youtube, google, stores, reviews etc....) looking at the other models they have offered beteween the years to date.
I became very interested in the now discontinued and "elusive" 42. The solid milled 1 peice titanium handles with the latch gate and coil springlatch are as cool to me as the plain weehawk blade and skeleton design.
Blade Length: 4.20"
Blade Thickness: 0.125"
Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC
Blade Style: 42 Weehawk
Weight: 4.10oz.
It's a very sharp piece and as with all the Benchmade knives I've owned the blade is fantastic. I found a 42 close enough to mint condition.
I'm in the works of getting the 51 Morph (the newest model) that looks to me as if it has completely changed the "common" balisong design adding many well thought out features to butterfly knives.
Then I will have 3 examples of the progression of these knives.
The earliest Weehawk model is very heavy, the 42 is a little lighter, and I understand the 51 is lighter than the 42. All made w/ different specs and materials.
Leverlock switchblades
Razor_54

Re: My Benchmade 42

Post by Razor_54 »

Congrats, Jeff. That's a beauty.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks,
I just took pics next to an earlier stainless model.
Leverlock switchblades
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

wonderful knives! Great pictures too 8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

8)
panner

Post by panner »

:) Very nice 8) :!:
EVERY MAN DIES : NOT EVERY MAN REALLY LIVES.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Those are two of the nicest Bali's I've seen. :shock:
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Both are beautiful balisongs Jeff, but that hidden pin Pacific Cutlery bali in particular is just gorgeous. The 42's are selling for a lot right now (too much IMHO), but in my experience aren't particularly hard to find if you search around on the knife forums. The Pacific Cutlery bali however, I would love to know where you got as I'm under the impression they are VERY hard to find.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

BTB0923 wrote:Both are beautiful balisongs Jeff, but that hidden pin Pacific Cutlery bali in particular is just gorgeous. The 42's are selling for a lot right now (too much IMHO), but in my experience aren't particularly hard to find if you search around on the knife forums. The Pacific Cutlery bali however, I would love to know where you got as I'm under the impression they are VERY hard to find.
:lol: Right said, It sure took a while to find.
Chefget is a collector of these and seems to have everyone that ever existed. Though not a seller; after some emails he agreed to sell me the Pacific Cutlery model. I can't find one anywhere else, and this one was a bargain @ just under $600
Here is his page.
http://www.gettier.org/custombalis_1.html
Leverlock switchblades
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Thanks for the link. My work webfilter is blocking that site, I'll have to check it out when I get home. While $600 may seem like a lot to some, I have to wholeheartedly agree that it's a great price for such a rare balisong. Looks to be in really good condition too.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

He's a nice guy and a member of Blade Forums. He's a collector and not a seller, but seems to take offers.
The usual asking is around $850 it looks like to me.
You'll marvel when you see his site. :lol:
Leverlock switchblades
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Also,
It's pretty strange, but I hear a limited run of the 42 will be made, even though they have been discontinued.
Looks like anyone can order one again for a brief time for less than I paid for mine, they even included the trainer model.
http://www.knifexx.com/detail.aspx?ID=3 ... awodclUmgA
Leverlock switchblades