Everyone's first Balisong?

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vanagas

Re: Everyone's first Balisong?

Post by Vanagas »

whiskers wrote:the first bali I remember owning is a small green wood handled one.can't remember the maker,but it was about 3" closed.it was slick as a greased pig.I ended up selling it at a pawn shop.that was over 20 years ago.
How much didja get fer it?
Mike
whiskers

Post by whiskers »

I bought it for $9 and prob sold it for as much.
if everyone likes you, then you are most likely a coward who is too afraid to take a firm position on anything worthwhile
cutnstuf_deleted

Post by cutnstuf_deleted »

this is the only one I've ever owned:
DSCN7857.JPG
DSCN7857.JPG (352.88 KiB) Viewed 27231 times
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Mine was a (sort of) gift from my father; an ivory scaled one he brought back from the war (II) after duty in the Pacific (I think he got it somewhere in the Phillapines). Then, a generation later, a green plastic scaled, aluminum framed monstrosity of unequalled cheapness, procured in Vietnam.

Both are crap, beat to shit, and totally irreplaceable.

Will find/photograph/post both and/or either, if I can conduct a thorough enough search of my attic. I'm not really inclined to, as it is infested with ghosts.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Vanagas

Post by Vanagas »

That is a mighty nice bali Mr Cut.

Good luck with the ghosts Tom. If you get in a spot repeat times three: betelgeuse
Mike
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

My first Bali is an older Frost, skeliton handles, with brass liners. Someone cut the lock off (before I got it), I had traded for it (I don't remember what, it may have been an older Buck 110, I had several at the time). I at some point broke one of the pins and replaced it, but I don't remember which one at this point, I still have it. I used it for a work knife when I lived in California, before some knucklehead decided they were ill-eagle. It's an ok knife (Japan made) I'll post pics one of these days...
What knife?

droopdog666

Post by droopdog666 »

i got my first bali from my uncle for christmas when i was 14. i have been collecting knives since i was about 9 or 10, and have a couple hundred in my collection now(im 27 now). i still have this bali, its a chrome rostfrei cheapy. still swings pretty solid for a 13 year old bali though.
Attachments
balisongs 007.jpg
balisongs 007.jpg (51.75 KiB) Viewed 26875 times
balisongs 006.jpg
balisongs 006.jpg (51.66 KiB) Viewed 26873 times
swordboy

Post by swordboy »

my first butterfly was a total ground score ...... I found it at an arcade when I was 13 no idea who made it still it was a cool knife
there is a fine line between genius and maddness but a big brick wall between crazy and stupid
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

The first butterfly knife I owned was a birthday present given by my high school buddy back in the 80s and it is the first on the bottom - stamped Stainless South Korea. He didn't know how to flip it but another dude on the football team did so I learned between sets at the weight room. Next followed the Benchmade 259S - kinda heavy - then the Benchmade 239 which is my all-time favorite. I flipped that one so much a blade pin wore out. Light and strong so you can do lots of techniques.
BK_Blade

Post by BK_Blade »

My first was a Benchmade model 42. I originally learned on my sensei's Pacific Cutlery model but due to my age and financial constraints I couldn't get a proper one. I vaguely remember a keychain bali I got at a flea market but that didn't count.
canadiannoob

Post by canadiannoob »

my first balli just got here from knifezilla really cool tiger USA got into them 15 years ago but the legal issues here made it impossible. got into them with that movie Face Off travolta gives that kriss to that chick so cool
Knife Crazied

Post by Knife Crazied »

My first bali was a silver one that looks like a benchmade. I seen some boy with it and I thought it was the coolest thing. I then bought it off him. My mother took it from me then I was 13 and I never seen it again until I was 18 years old. She has kept it hide all that time. One day I ask her about it and she told me where it was. Guess that how mothers can be. :D
sandbar

Post by sandbar »

I got my first bali in elmurst illinois. I was somewhere around 10-12 years old. It said Jaguar on the blade and I managed to get a pakistan store owner to believe I was 18 :idea: "aka he didn't care" and made the purchase for around $10.00. I am quite positive, it was a china knife. I only learned the basic skills of flipping, enough to get it open and cut. I moved onto the real deal, Benchmade 42 15+ years later. Where did the time go, along with that first bali? :shock: Hmmmmmmmmm
Results are directly driven, by the work that is done.
HeadSetJones

Post by HeadSetJones »

My first blade was a Rostfrei. Cheap little thing I got when I was 14 from a friend. His whole family on the male side collected and sold knifes. I bought it and a Joker together for 25 bucks.
It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom,
It's what it is ok?. Keep that in mind at all times.Thank you!"-- Bill Hicks
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

My first was the Manila Folder in the photo. I got it back in the '80s, probably at a gun & knife show. After slitting a knuckle and gashing a foot, I put it away until a couple days ago. My interest is re-kindled and I'll be spending some time trying not to lose any digits with a 41 Morpho.
Manila Folder.jpg
Manila Folder.jpg (28.11 KiB) Viewed 25058 times