Everyone's first Balisong?

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
MarioG14

Everyone's first Balisong?

Post by MarioG14 »

What were everyone's first bali's, and how did you get into them?

I got into Balisongs after I saw the movie "The Outsiders". When Emilio flipped out his BM Custom Weehawk with Black Micarta inserts I was in awe. I was in Fifth grade then, this was about 1998 in Colorado. Shortly afterwords, I bought a skeletonized cheapie from an online security store. I paid about 14 dollars for it, it was one of those ones that are always floating around on Ebay. Man, I carried that thing everywhere. Camping, school, friend's houses. I remember I used to flip it around in one of the restroom stalls when I was bored and ditching class. It got pretty loose, but it held up. I don't know whatever happened to it. Later that year, my mom and I went into this biker-owned hardware store, and I found some Rostfries. All the local kids bought their balisongs here. I bought one every few weeks until I had about 10. I lost interest when I moved to California in 2001. These Rostfries and a couple Jaguars were my only balisongs until 2002. I saved up about a hundred and fifty dollars, and decided on a spur of the moment type thing to buy a Plain edged BM42 with the T-latch. I remember I got it in April of 2002. That was and still is my favorite knife, I have so many memories with that knife. Since then, I've bought about 5 or 6 more Benchmades. I am truly addicted to these knives, even saving up my 10 dollars a allowance money. I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.
What is this great evil? How did it steal into the world? From what seed, what root did it spring? Who's doing this? Who's killing us? Robbing us of light and life. Mocking us with the sight of what we might have known.
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

My first one was some no-name gold handle t-latch duller than shit blade bali. THis was beyond loose and one of the pins kept coming out, i got it from my mom since she took it from my brothers. My friend flipped his classic jag around me a few times and in all the movies i wondered how in the hell they did all the things with them so i decided id get into them. Im a knife collector of sorts, but bali's are my main passion.
deepimpact

Post by deepimpact »

When i was a toddler i was playing in my grandmas basement and found a balisong. At first i thought it was a orential fan or something untill i opend it. And there it was my first look at a bali. From what i could rember the handles were paper thin aluminum. The blade was brass. Then my parents found it and took it away. About 9 years later i was with my mom shopping at some thrift stores. Then i saw one behind the glass display stand and i bought it. It was an all black no namer. I rember it was heavy as hell but i loved it. It stayed with me for about 2 years then i found balisonxtreme. From then on i was in love with balis. Being as young as i was i was not able to order balis from the internet so i secretly bought every colour rostifary there was. Then when i learned about money orders i bought 2 jag classics. After that i have been buying balis non stop and constantly learning knew moves. I concider mysealf a pretty experienced songer. Im currently trying to figure out how to do 8thsinners elbow snap. :shock: :oops: :twisted:
practice makes perfect
Icon of Sin

Post by Icon of Sin »

Back handle serrated Jag Skeleton
All My vids are back online Check them out here.
http://balisong.theasylum.org/IconOfSin/

I'm the best you ever seen Fats, I'm the best there is, and even if you beat me I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson (The Hustler)
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

my first bali is a frost cultry, stainles handels with a spear point blade. cheap steel but sharpens easily. i still have it, i bought it about 15 years ago. i also have an old balisong before benchmade got them, it set inmy garage for about 6 years when i moved, and it shows, i would part with it if anyone is interested send me a pm!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
MarioG14

Post by MarioG14 »

Not to get this off-topic, but where in CO are you from, Deepimpact? I lived in Canon City for almost 9 years.
What is this great evil? How did it steal into the world? From what seed, what root did it spring? Who's doing this? Who's killing us? Robbing us of light and life. Mocking us with the sight of what we might have known.
deepimpact

Post by deepimpact »

centennial just out side of aroura. off of smokyhill and E-470 if it helps. 8)
practice makes perfect
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

My first bali, that goes back a few years. Had seen one in an old martial arts movie and it fascinated me, so i had to get one. Drove down to Platsburg with a buddy and picked up 1/2 dozen no name brand with a dragon etched on the blade. Solid and sharp for cheapies, still have one.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

my first bali was brought back for me from the phillipines by a buddy who went there with his parents...i was only 13 or 14....and i eventually got it confiscated at school.......
ZENGHOST

Post by ZENGHOST »

The first bali I ever bought was a Benchmade with skeletonized black zamak handles (don't know the model number). I bought it back in '92 for $15 and gave it to a friend for his graduation. Fast forward to Jan '01 where I bought the first bali for myself which was a BM43. Never handled a jag or CCC so I guess I'm pretty lucky there.
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

A Valor Rosewood/Brass Utility blade bali in 1980 in NYC Chinatown for $30. Couldn't afford what Balisong USA was offering at the time. Dulled the edge on that one so that I could practice. Learned most of the opening and closings on my own. Bought an identical one a month later for carry.
Bali's: one of life's simple pleasures.
.45acp

Post by .45acp »

My first bali was a Pacific Cutulry prior to BM. I have 2 of them and 2 BM's bought in the mid 80's. Still swinging the one marked 88. The rest are in the safe. Ahhh the memoreies of the travels and place we went.

Excuse the spelling...It has been a 6 pack night.

Steve
.45acp

NRA Life Member
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

A Cheapie from Knifezilla. A $20 All black thingy. Broke the damn rivets after a day and was able to send it back for a 4" Stiletto kit :lol:
navajo

first bali

Post by navajo »

FHM in the Philippines in 1964. Been carrying one since then.
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

Guess it's my time to respond to this thread. :)

My first Bali was a Dragon-Lock I got at Asian World of Martial Arts in Philadelphia, PA along with Jeff Imada's first Balisong book. Don't remember what drove me to get it, except that I have always been into knives in general and thought that a bali was the shit. Well that was 30 some years ago and I still think they are pretty cool. :D