Everyone's first Balisong?

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
1joel8

Re: Everyone's first Balisong?

Post by 1joel8 »

To be honest my first butterfly knife was just some cheapy at a gas station my dad got me when i was 10 but it broke and i duck taped the handles back on and also i have at least 9 scars from it i still have it just dont really use it after i got a jaguar and then a bench made 42
Bama

Post by Bama »

I got mine at a place in the mall called David's Stationary. One side was stationary the other side was martial arts stuff. I was a cheap Pakistan made knife. Silver handles with the holes drilled in it.
Julian1066

Post by Julian1066 »

First Bali bought in Olongapo City, Philippines in 1966. about 5 1/2" closed, brass end caps, bone handle, handmade blade made from leaf spring of an
old American car. FHM's in my mind are the real balisongs! Would love to have one or two more, but this one's what brings the memories back...
liquidm1980

Post by liquidm1980 »

it was a bear & son, i am not sure where i got it. however i did have a comb on back in the mid 80's. i pulled it out in elementary school and got in a bit of trouble.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

still got my 1st, it's around here somewhere. it's a Parker or Frost i got from SMKW back in the early '70's
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I got my first 2 last month, they were from bladeplay. I got an old model Jaguar classic. and an unmarked blaisong with hidden pins and black inserts. But it's a channel style knife (without any stupid holes cut out like the jaguar). I like it, still works nicely.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

My first balisong was a Brass Golden Dragon from the 1980s that my dad bought me when I was 14 years old. He taught me how to flip it. He was 44 years old at the time.

When my father was diagnosed with cancer, my parents moved in with me to get him care at Mayo Clinic. Anyways, one day, I was at a gunshop when I saw a Benchmade Model 42 154 CM. I bought it. I bought a Benchmade 32, then a 51. It reminded me of my father when he was healthy. Then I met DaBird who introduced me to various balisongs. I went on the mother of all spending sprees.

Now, instead of trying to get every balisong available, I have worked on trying to do various moves with my 42 mainly. However I also flip the customs that I own, too.
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

you actually flip expensive custom balisongs?! how do they perform compared to current production models?

Image 8)
chrisinau

Re:

Post by chrisinau »

Vanagas wrote:I just bought my first balisong. Nothing special. Chinese-made and pretty cheap. I like it though. Has some nice Mahogany wood inlays in the handles. Pretty tight and has a nice grind on the blade. I have a hard time finding fault with this knife. As far as I can tell it is a Golden Elephant made by Yin Xiang.

My first one is exactly the same :) Always wondered what it was called. Mine is in a bit of a battered state, but it's good anyway :)
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

big_ski wrote:you actually flip expensive custom balisongs?! how do they perform compared to current production models?

Image 8)
Yes I do. Look up my YouTube channel. You can find it through jerzeedevil.

My best customs are the Balibalistic and the Pinoy Knife FHM.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I plan on getting a BM 51, or a FHM. For EDC.

Currently I have a Jaguar Classic (with serrations) and a tank from bladeplay (that's what they call it, it's Chinese and unmarked, but it's a channel style and surprisingly tough for something so cheap)
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

My first Bali was a fury tanto titanium Bali baught in 1981 my dad baught it then passed it down to me. It was never used And is in mint condition and still have the box
waldoe420

Post by waldoe420 »

My first was a nameless CCC bali... paid 25 bucks for it. It was a cheap knife but it came with a razor sharp blade and held its edge fantastically. I cut myself so many times with that knife too stubborn to tape the blade :mrgreen:
Roshark

Post by Roshark »

thats funny because i got into balisongs the same exact way you did! my first would be the bear and sons 4 incher.
was quite a cheapo, but served my needs.
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

I've got a whole gun case of balisongs. Total value of all of them is about 70 bucks. :lol:
Attachments
CASE OF 35 BALIS.jpg
CASE OF 35 BALIS.jpg (193.58 KiB) Viewed 23369 times