what should my 1st ever balisong be?

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
taylorswift

what should my 1st ever balisong be?

Post by taylorswift »

i have a price range from 10 - 250 bucks...should i go with a trainer balisong? or a bm model 42? or a cheap jaguar? i dunno what to do.ive never flipped before but im very interested in the art of it and i would like to know the easiest way to learn the basics of flipping.any and all help is appreciated :)
thatoneguy

Re: what should my 1st ever balisong be?

Post by thatoneguy »

If you are just starting out then i suggest you buy a trainer. Bladeplay has a few cheap ones. You could also buy a cheap balisong for when you start using a sharp one, in case you get sliced and drop it you wont have to replace a nice one. Once you are better then you can buy a 42, and amaze all your friends. I never bought a trainer, but i regretted it frequently. Hope this helps
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

If you are into knives in general, and own a few quality knives, AND have the money to spend. I would say get a BM42. You will really appreciate the quality these bring to the table. And i doubt it would break from droping it...i have dropped mine many i time and it has never broken. The fit and finish is fantastic you wont be dissapointed.

Also, a more affordable bali might be good just incase you decide you dont like butterfly knives. Then you wont have invested too much money.
If you go with a cheap one just to mess around with for a short time thats always a good option to. Though i have had a few cheapos break on me. But then again, they didn't cost that much.

So, if you go with a benchmade you will be very happy and it will last you darn near forever :) (they have good warranty and customer service at BM)
If you go with a cheapo, you could have just as much fun, but will end up buying more of them, and they are looser then a higher end model.

Both ways has their perks...but if you appreciate quality go with the benchmade. Especially if you have the money it sounds like :)
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

The Benchmade 42 is a great choice, but if you have never handles a bali, i would agree with the other members to get a cheapo and practice. Don't like the trainers as some may not have the weight and feel as a real one. Get yourself a Jaquar or similar and tape the blade. Will save you a lot of pain and bandages. :lol: :shock:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I have little to no experience with Bali's but I would suggest getting an inexpensive one with adjustable screws. This way it can be tightened/loosened to your preference.
A trainer is not a bad idea but you can always tape the edge on a 'real' one.
panner

Post by panner »

Got my first Bali about a month ago ordered it from PVKnife an MTech Supreme made in the USA designed by David RALPH very solid and one of the sharpest knives i own it runs about $40.00 which is a very good price for the quality of the knife. :D :!:
scan0001.jpg
Last edited by panner on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVERY MAN DIES : NOT EVERY MAN REALLY LIVES.
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

First ever for flipping and you have no experience flipping? Then common sense says definitely go with a cheapie costing not more than $25. Why regret flipping and scratching a $199 benchmade titanium wazoo-latch balisong? I never flipped any of my balisongs costing more than $75. "notgonnadoit".
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

big_ski wrote:First ever for flipping and you have no experience flipping? Then common sense says definitely go with a cheapie costing not more than $25. Why regret flipping and scratching a $199 benchmade titanium wazoo-latch balisong? I never flipped any of my balisongs costing more than $75. "notgonnadoit".
You have a BM52 and you have never flipped it!!....that's the definition of a travesty!!!
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

Yep. one half of the collection is for flipping the other is for selling.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Wow Panner,that's a pretty cool Bali for the buck :!: 8)