Loose Balisong, any solution?

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
lilneo

Loose Balisong, any solution?

Post by lilneo »

Alright well, basically I bought a cheapie practice balisong so that I could practice. When I bought it I didn't realize it was a cheapie, but it's definitely showing now. The two screws that are holding the handles to the main hinge piece keep on coming loose, I have a torque wrench/allen key that I can tighten them with - but they constantly keep coming loose when I play with it. Is there any quick solution to keeping them in place, that wont involve me going out and buying some glue or threading tape?
Thanks in advance
~lilneo
Viking45

Re: Loose Balisong, any solution?

Post by Viking45 »

Be careful not to over tighten the screws,especially if they are aluminum handles.
The only suggestion I have is to use something like Loctite. I don't know of any quick solution without having to buy something to remedy this problem.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/
There are some pretty nice quality bali's out there for under 30 bucks.

There are other members here that may have a better idea,this is all I can think of. Good luck.
lilneo

Post by lilneo »

Thanks, yeah I believe the handles are steel. And I know not to overtighten. And like I said, when I bought it they told me it was quality so :\ but it was only 10 bucks. I figured since it's not actually a knife. But yeah, soon as I can get all my tricks down without hitting the blade side I'ma use a real good one. Just for now I was hoping if there was a quick solution.
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

I agree with Viking, go to the nearest hardware store an buy some BLUE Loctite. Be sure to buy blue and nothing else. You can buy the small bottle, you wont use very much