MTech Twist

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
The Doctor

MTech Twist

Post by The Doctor »

As I mentioned in my intro post, I re-discovered balisongs a couple of weeks ago after finding a couple of old balis I bought back in the '80s. Last week, I bought a BM 51 and fell in love with it. So much so, that I decided to add to my knife collection a couple of cheaper balis to practice with because I was dropping the BM so much and I didn't want to damage it beyond recognition in no time. Anyway, I figured that the Jaguar for $22 and the MTech Twist for $24 would likely be my best bets.

Man, what a difference! :shock: I find the MTech to be an incredibly well-made balisong for the money. I honestly didn't expect it to be so head-and-shoulders above the others I have (except, of course, the BM) for a measly $24. The only one I could find is the gun metal one, and I couldn't be happier. :D I'm considering buying a couple more for the future.
BTB0923

Re: MTech Twist

Post by BTB0923 »

I'm in the market for a new bali myself. From the looks of those prices I would guess you purchased from Bladeplay, right? I'm considering a Jaguar Classic because I've heard they are good, and my question is whether or not the Jaguar they sell on that site is actually the original Jaguar or a cheap knock off? Not to say the the MTech Twist isn't a good bali, but if that Jaguar you got isn't the real thing that might be why the Twist was so head and shoulders above the Jag.

Anybody know if this is an actual Jaguar bali?...

http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Silver-J ... luxe--6183
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

BTB0923 wrote:I'm in the market for a new bali myself. From the looks of those prices I would guess you purchased from Bladeplay, right? I'm considering a Jaguar Classic because I've heard they are good, and my question is whether or not the Jaguar they sell on that site is actually the original Jaguar or a cheap knock off? Not to say the the MTech Twist isn't a good bali, but if that Jaguar you got isn't the real thing that might be why the Twist was so head and shoulders above the Jag.

Anybody know if this is an actual Jaguar bali?...

http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Silver-J ... luxe--6183
Yes, that's the site. I have no idea as to whether the one they offer is the original or not. The one they sent me is fairly heavy and is made about as well as any other balisong in that price range. Other than that, I can't say much about it.

The MTech, on the other hand, is pretty well-made for the price. It can also be adjusted and tuned via the torx screws, and it really manipulates smoothly. They offer several other models with similar adjustments in almost the same price range with different inserts, like cocobolo, burl briar, etc. They're all adjustable and, manipulate more smoothly than the Jaguar, IMO.

Before anyone jumps on me about recommending crappy, POS knives, I'm only stating that, if you're going for an entry-level balisong, for in the neighborhood of $20 or so, these are actually not bad. But personally, they look good in the collection, but I'm sticking with my two Benchmades for EDC.
captn hook

Post by captn hook »

I'm going to buy the same M Tech next week, it looks good and your comments just made up my mind for me. Thankx.
I also wondered if Bladeplay's Jags were real or copies. The tangs are marked stainless steel, on Knifezilla they sell the same
knife with the same markings and they claim they are good quality but not as good as the real Jags. So I guess they are copies.
On another site I saw Jags that have an actual jaguar on the tang, and they claim they are the real deal.
I hope that helps.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I think but not 100% sure that the ones at bp are not Jaguars because the stamp isn't where it should be and I don't see a marking but I bet it's a good solid flipper. Possibly Herbertz or a different type I don't know. The Jaguar blades do a quik rise at the tip of the blade, as the Herbertz have a little more drop at the point by comparison, I like this type (on bp) because it is more similar to the look of a weehawk blade. I just wish they would make some that size with the black handles non serrate, then I'd get one
Leverlock switchblades
Scruffy

Post by Scruffy »

After about 25+ years of owning bali's I was looking and bought the Mtech also. I can say its a fine knife for the price. I haven't owned a jag but I still have the ones ( the imports) PC/Bench sold years ago. The Mtech feels a little different when you work it. Its following the trend I belive in a "tighter Bali". Even my higher priced old PC bali's are loose in comparison.
IMO great knife for the price 1 point under a Bradly.
If im not mistaken the Twist is also sold on another site as a "kit" knife for a higher price.
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Hello All,
I have owned Balis for over 25 years ---- have bought LOTS of BMs , custom 1 of a kind , and cheap "throw-away" kinds. In the last week or so , I have bought a K3 , a Tsunami-S kit knife , two Dalton Balis , and THREE Mtech Twists !!!
The Mtech "Twist" is a BEST BUY on a VERY WEEL made Bali for around $25 !!! Thats why I bought 3 --- two of them for EDC and 1 just to keep NIB --- they will only go up in value, IMHO.
Oderint Dum Metuant
"Let them hate,as long as they fear"
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

I had an M-Tech and thought it was great for the price.. Then i lost it. Ill probably get another one but anyway, I believe the Jaguars are clones but dont hold me on that. And if you can, get a bali that isnt riveted, I only have one thats riveted and thought it was great when i got it but the rivets have loosened up and im not equipped to tighten them. I always try to get one with torx screws because you can adjust it to be however tight or loose you want but be sure to put threadlock on the screws
Bama

Post by Bama »

I have several of them and really like them. They come in a wide variety of scales too. Glad you found them!
mollee_121212

Post by mollee_121212 »

hey can anyone tell me where i can buy the M tech twist ive looked everywhere and cant find it i would really like to buy one but there sold out everywhere
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

mollee_121212 wrote:hey can anyone tell me where i can buy the M tech twist ive looked everywhere and cant find it i would really like to buy one but there sold out everywhere
Knifezilla
mollee_121212

Post by mollee_121212 »

Thinks for telling me ill go check it out
mollee_121212

Post by mollee_121212 »

CDR_glock told me to look on kifezilla for twist but wasnt there, anybody els know where to find one i would really like 2 know :D
CDR_Glock

Post by CDR_Glock »

mollee_121212 wrote:CDR_glock told me to look on kifezilla for twist but wasnt there, anybody els know where to find one i would really like 2 know :D
When did you search the site. That very day I told you, they had it. However, I also told others. When it comes to Balisongs, you buy it, if you want it, or it's gone! Even in the forums, Balisongs sell within Minutes if 1) the price is right, 2) the knife is hot. I lost out on a 29 knives spearpoint and a BM Balisong model 42-400 since it sold within minutes. I search the sites every hour upon the hour.

I have bought many knives on websites that only carry ONE. That's it. If someone says that a knife is on a site, you check the site immediately or it's gone. I have also searched for this elusive Twist. But for a $30 knife, for me, it isn't worth my effort. With that being said, I just got a Typhoon kit knife. It was fun to assemble, and for the price, it's a darn good knife. It isn't sharpened but with a Lansky Sharpener, that isn't hard to do.
mollee_121212

Post by mollee_121212 »

well i looked like the day after but they had a knife that said it was the m tech twist but it looked totally diffrent and blade looked like shit, it was a cheap looking knock off
i saw that same one on other sites some called it the m tech twist 2