Butterfly Knife in Uk

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dinobru

Butterfly Knife in Uk

Post by dinobru »

Does anyone know where i can get a Butterfly Knife in the Uk..........?
Milu

Re: Butterfly Knife in Uk

Post by Milu »

They cannot legally be sold in the UK.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
13blades

Post by 13blades »

I've made quite a few. I suggest you hit the shed or the garage and start playing around. You never know. You might enjoy knifemaking. Same laws in NZ led me to start making them here. It isn't ilegal to make them here oddly enough. They are in my experience one of the easiest folders to make (other than perhaps a friction folder) and I think may be one of the strongest types of folders you can get. I only started off with a drill press. You can put discs in it as well as grinding stones, although a bench grinder is better of course.
Unless you were after the original factory models like the benchmades and stuff. I would love some of the as well. Nothing like the real deal 8)
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

You can just order one from the states. They do get through and the only real problem that you have is getting it confiscated by customs..If you order something like a benchmade 42 then that's a lot of money to lose.
Hadson

Post by Hadson »

Basically the only legal way to obtain one is by finding it by chance or inheriting it. I say inheriting is legal as I assume that wouldn't be classed as a gift.
Best regards, Hadson.
Taxi_Driver

Post by Taxi_Driver »

Hadson wrote:Basically the only legal way to obtain one is by finding it by chance or inheriting it. I say inheriting is legal as I assume that wouldn't be classed as a gift.
Unfortunately it's also illegal to inherit one. But they would have to prosecute a corpse. It is actually legal to buy one in the UK, but not to import one. There are no restrictions on buying them, only on selling them.
Hadson

Post by Hadson »

Taxi_Driver wrote: Unfortunately it's also illegal to inherit one. But they would have to prosecute a corpse. It is actually legal to buy one in the UK, but not to import one. There are no restrictions on buying them, only on selling them.
I expect they might still find you liable for something, but it would be fascinating to see them try and prosecute for non-existent offences. People get hauled in over wrongful assumptions of swords, and other knives being illegal on a regular basis.

One MET CID type who's a relative of my friends claimed collecting knives is illegal, and any over 7" inches were banned altogether.
They say "ignorance of the law is no defence", but what do we say to ignorance enforcing it?
Best regards, Hadson.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

The way that I look at it is possible penalties. I mean, what is likely to happen if you buy one and it gets stopped at customs.
The answer is it will be confiscated....personnally I think it is a much less serious offence than speeding, or even using a mobile when you are driving. The next question is why do you want one...if it is to flip, then you can start with a good ( and perfectly legal) trainer.
I have quite a few balis, all bought before the ban, and all badly made and hard to flip. As somebody else has said they are very easy to make anyway. Just look at some of the stuff that comes from the fillipines
Hadson

Post by Hadson »

jorvik wrote:The way that I look at it is possible penalties. I mean, what is likely to happen if you buy one and it gets stopped at customs.
The answer is it will be confiscated....personnally I think it is a much less serious offence than speeding, or even using a mobile when you are driving.
If they confiscate enough they will generally arrest people for it. They don't even ardently pursue small amounts of cannabis; not something I know from personal experience, but I knew idiots who would mail it back to themselves while in Holland.

We will see Customs in action more often now given their confiscating legal folding knives too. IIRC, they can gain access to your home at any time.
Best regards, Hadson.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Well if they confiscate a couple of hundred from you then they will take action....but most folks are just thinking about one at a time..and then it can become very difficult for them to prosecute you. You can say that you didn't order it, that they sent you the wrong knife, or that somebody else in your house ordered it for you using your credit card.or lots of other different excuses which makes it all very difficult to prove.....and a logistical nightmare for customs..so more often than not they will just confiscate it......and as you say they will if they feel like confiscate perfectly legal knives and say that they are illegal....so what's the difference...you take your chances either way :lol:
Hadson

Post by Hadson »

jorvik wrote:Well if they confiscate a couple of hundred from you then they will take action....but most folks are just thinking about one at a time..and then it can become very difficult for them to prosecute you. You can say that you didn't order it, that they sent you the wrong knife, or that somebody else in your house ordered it for you using your credit card.or lots of other different excuses which makes it all very difficult to prove.....and a logistical nightmare for customs..so more often than not they will just confiscate it......and as you say they will if they feel like confiscate perfectly legal knives and say that they are illegal....so what's the difference...you take your chances either way :lol:
Far less than that. If it's repeatedly and fairly sustained, they may well take action.

Not at all. They'll confiscate your computer, and find records relatively easily. Most sales are done through Paypal, and they are pretty hot at providing records when needed. If it's imported with your name on, that's what counts.

Well, if you go to court over one which is legal to import, it's provable, but otherwise...
Best regards, Hadson.
PepperSprayKing

Post by PepperSprayKing »

Thank you for sharing useful information.The reason some spring loaded knives arent illegal is because you are touching the blade to open it, or a knob attached to the blade. Gravity knives and anything that uses a trigger on the handle keeps you from touching the blade and make them illegal, but as long as you stick to a 3" blade and one that has a knob on the blade or connected directly to it, it will be legal.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Huh?
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

PepperSprayKing wrote:Thank you for sharing useful information.The reason some spring loaded knives arent illegal is because you are touching the blade to open it, or a knob attached to the blade. Gravity knives and anything that uses a trigger on the handle keeps you from touching the blade and make them illegal, but as long as you stick to a 3" blade and one that has a knob on the blade or connected directly to it, it will be legal.

Don't you have to touch the blade on ALL manual knives to open them ??
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

j.a.c. wrote:
PepperSprayKing wrote:Thank you for sharing useful information.The reason some spring loaded knives arent illegal is because you are touching the blade to open it, or a knob attached to the blade. Gravity knives and anything that uses a trigger on the handle keeps you from touching the blade and make them illegal, but as long as you stick to a 3" blade and one that has a knob on the blade or connected directly to it, it will be legal.

Don't you have to touch the blade on ALL manual knives to open them ??
I guess that's his point. On an auto or a gravity knife, you touch a button or a lever or a release switch of some sort. On an assisted-opener, you nudge the blade itself via a thumb stud or a flipper, which could be interpreted as similar to opening a manual knife by moving the blade itself....I guess... :?: :?

Wanna buy some pepper spray?
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.