What is the best blade?

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
AzNSh4nk3rBoY

What is the best blade?

Post by AzNSh4nk3rBoY »

i wanted to know what is the best blade for an advance user of balisong? :?: thanx
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Depends on use? Flipping? Just as long as the weight is even... Selfdefence? A wee-hawk blade found on the 42 or the spearpoint blade on the 46, for work it would be the clip blade on the 43 or the blade on the 31... please give us more detail.
Causeway

Post by Causeway »

A sharp one
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

They are all nice. But I'm not to fond of the Tanto blade on the bali.
stepdaddy

Re: What is the best blade?

Post by stepdaddy »

AzNSh4nk3rBoY wrote:i wanted to know what is the best blade for an advance user of balisong? :?: thanx

MICROTECH
ExamonLyf

More information needed...?

Post by ExamonLyf »

As J-Man mentioned, it sort of depends on what you want to do that is "advanced". If you are simply talking about manipulating the knife (i.e., doing tricks), then I think any of the BM 4.25 inch models are fine, although you'll find many that don't like the 47 as much because of the weight distribution at the tip. I also think the Tachyon is good in this area, but a little flat-handled for me personally.

Having said that.., I think there are several custom makers that make exceptional knives for dazzling your friends with flip-stuff. Charles Marlowe, Terry Guinn and Darrel Ralph all make knives that pretty much split the difference in weight between the BM Ti-Handled line, and the older Customs by B-S USA, PCC, and BMKC. I actually think these would stand out for manipulations, but are also quite a bit more money than production knives.

For defensive purposes, I would certainly lean more towards the knife with heavier handles and more blade steel. .187" vs. .125" (blade thickness), is a very significant difference in strength, and all that is required for "defending", is training, and getting the knife open, which can be done very quickly with any Balisong employing a simple "Windmill" opening.

In the economy range of knives it looks like the 42SS would be a good choice because the handles are substantial and can be used for handle flails (very effective, and less than "lethal"). The knife also has D2 bladestock which is renowned for edge-holding. Not that 440C is bad, and in fact, it is a good reliable steel, and easy to take care of.

Again we are back to how you define "Advanced", and to me that would be picking your "Best Blade" based on many factors other than what is the easiest to manipulate. If we define "Best".., to include the most cutting potential and actual offensive/defensive potential, then we'd also have to consider length, because a 5.25" Balisong does give you more reach, and also considerably more inertia behind a flailing-strike using the handles.

Chris Olofson's 5.25" customs would be a prime example of this. They are certainly not the best knife for doing aerials and finger rolls/twirls, etc, but I'd far rather have one of those (with any style blade), than any knife BM currently makes for defending myself..., and I would definitely select either a true Dagger profile, or a Wee Hawk with a sharpened false edge if I had a choice.

The custom domain also opens up the possibility of picking your own blade steel, various heat treat methods, and many design choices not available on production models, but as mentioned, the pricing can get pretty tough on the wallet!
Pete Johnston

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"