Getting interseted in balis

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
blackjack

Getting interseted in balis

Post by blackjack »

Does anyone know if SKM balis are any good :?: Ive had dealings with SKM before and Ive found them to be a rock solid reliable company and wouldnt mind dealing with them again. Also, which other bali companies should I check out :?: and does anyone know of any balis with bayonet or stiletto style blades :?:
Regards
blackjack
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Ace of hearts Jack of spades.

I'm sure many will disagree with me and say run out and spend a ton of cash on your first Bali. I always tell people start with an entry level item just to see if it's you cup of tea or not. For the price SKM is selling them at I'm sure you couldn't go wrong. If you start to enjoy the flipping action move on to a Benchmade or a microtech.

SD
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I'm not a big Bali fan but the SKM ones are nice.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

mr vagrant,

do you have one of those bali's? what are the handles like?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I have the 6" with Briarwood scales, very nice.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Re: Getting interseted in balis

Post by mrbigg »

blackjack wrote:Does anyone know if SKM balis are any good :?: Ive had dealings with SKM before and Ive found them to be a rock solid reliable company and wouldnt mind dealing with them again. Also, which other bali companies should I check out :?: and does anyone know of any balis with bayonet or stiletto style blades :?:
Regards
blackjack
mr blackjack, i think you'll find the closest blade style to that would be a spear point blade - i think that benchmade has one of the biggest varieties of blade styles. PS: i still have one or two of those herbertz around here if you're interested just PM me - i'll be ordering myself an italian one for the collection soon.

mr SD - i think i agree with you that a lower end knife is probably a good idea to start.

mr vagrant, what do you think of the size? is it easy to flip? i've never had one that small........
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

It's the only Bali I can flip easily, you can hold it between your thumb and forefinger and do a complete flip without doing a "shuffle", full closed to full open without hitting your fingers :D
Causeway

Post by Causeway »

Roton USA makes a blade somewhat of a steletto blade..
You can find those at http://www.knifemart.com if they are still available.