Where to begin

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BennytheBlade

Where to begin

Post by BennytheBlade »

Well, Im pretty committed to getting a typhoon... but what would be another good starter for someone interested... I kinda want to get a BM trainer, but wheres the fun in that :wink: Anyhow... suggestions would be appreciated... wouldnt want to spend more than 150
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

hey mr BTB,

i'm kind of asking myself the same question, and to be honest, i too feel that a trainer is a waste of $, when the real thing is only slightly more...

seems the experts here all agree that BM's are the good ones...

you can get pretty good deals on benchmades on ebay - or better yet, why don't you order an SKM bali?
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

BM 42 & 43 would be a great buy. Check out NewGraham for the best prices. They are out of the regular 42 but have the regular 43 in stock for $106.25! Of course they have other styles of both too.

http://www.newgraham.com/benchmad.htm
Causeway

Post by Causeway »

You can always try and a find a Microtech balisong.
I know there are still some available.
tonyccw

Post by tonyccw »

Causeway wrote:You can always try and a find a Microtech balisong.
I know there are still some available.
Microtech is still producing the Dragonfly as part of their current lineup. And probably will until the rest of the existing 3000 blade run is used up. The Tachyon will be a little more difficult to find.
Bali's: one of life's simple pleasures.
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

hehehe, seems that i found this $hitty old one with tang pin dents in the handles and a dull ass blade so ive been practicing with that, what should i look into for around $30? Microtech, BM, Jaguar, BOSS, anything else?
ZENGHOST

Re: .............

Post by ZENGHOST »

HTMLBali wrote:hehehe, seems that i found this $hitty old one with tang pin dents in the handles and a dull ass blade so ive been practicing with that, what should i look into for around $30? Microtech, BM, Jaguar, BOSS, anything else?
You won't find a MT or BM for $30. I haven't tried a Jag or a BOSS, so I can't comment on quality, but they are in that price range.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

wow... great prices 5.0... is the spear point/46 good for flipping?
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

I have occasionaly flipped mine and the only problem I have is getting pinched durring finger twirls. Some people have complained about the false edge hurting durring rebounding, but I haven't had any problems there. Maybe because I haven't flipped it long and hard enough. Ok, no snide comments. :)
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

ok... nother noob question... whats the deal w/ spring latch vs standard... what are the advantages/disadvantages?
nybble

Post by nybble »

BennytheBlade wrote:ok... nother noob question... whats the deal w/ spring latch vs standard... what are the advantages/disadvantages?
Check out this page. :) The short answer (most importnat to me) is that it makes your knife much more quiet during manipulation (no latch clanging around) and it prevents the latch from getting in the way of the other handle when opening and closing.
The Balisong Times | all the knives that're fit to flip
www.balisongtimes.com
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

thanks to all... I now have a spearpoint anodized handled Bm w/ a springlatch comiing my way.
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Benny be very carefull the BM knives are razor sharp. Keep bandaids nearby when flipping it's sure to bite you a few times. I hope you didn't get a double edged knife as your starter. Thats just down right nuckin futz

SD
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Nope, but i plan to get a little tape out, so hopefully there wont be alot of stinging till i have a clue.
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

WTG Benny! I'm sure you'll be happy with your '46'. Only one side is sharpened, but the other side is really thin. Watch out for your knuckles. :)