Balisong Stories

This area is dedicated to balisong (also known as butterfly) knives, and to the fine art of using them.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

"accident" :twisted: :wink:
Looks like nothing serious, in the long run, glad you will keep flipping.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
HTMLBali

Post by HTMLBali »

Sorry to hear that Heath.....Keep at what you love and tell your fiance i hope she gets well.
She obviously knows what this hobby means to you. God knows id feel just as bad or worse........Although don't let it drag you down to much.....
Icon of Sin

Post by Icon of Sin »

HTMLBali wrote:Sorry to hear that Heath.....Keep at what you love and tell your fiance i hope she gets well.
She obviously knows what this hobby means to you. God knows id feel just as bad or worse........Although don't let it drag you down to much.....
Its been a year since it happened now, so everything is blown over and she is perfectly fine. Boy do I have a keeper. Thanks for the kind words though guys :)
All My vids are back online Check them out here.
http://balisong.theasylum.org/IconOfSin/

I'm the best you ever seen Fats, I'm the best there is, and even if you beat me I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson (The Hustler)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Years ago when I was married I drove a car over my wifes toe, pure accident and no real damage but that didn't make me feel any better. I can relate! [Later, during the divorce there were times I wanted to try again with a steam roller.]
xxtonguerxx

Post by xxtonguerxx »

isnt it pure madness ,i mean these laws about bali,s? i mean,you could pick almost anything off the street[a brick,broken bottle,pointy stick etc ]and probably administer more damage to a person!
it really pisses me off that i cant play with my knife whenever i want to.by the way i just got my first balisong knife recently and it is a beautifull ,beautifull thing!.its a typhoon kit which im currently polishing prior to doing some cool filework on.one day i,ll be competent at flipping but for now it all about the asthetics .also,i have yet to see anyone who doesent want to hold my knife and try some basic opening flips.SUPPRESSION!!! :evil:
MarioG14

Post by MarioG14 »

This thread is still alive?
What is this great evil? How did it steal into the world? From what seed, what root did it spring? Who's doing this? Who's killing us? Robbing us of light and life. Mocking us with the sight of what we might have known.
BleedingMisanthropica

Post by BleedingMisanthropica »

Yes it is! My first bali was a full size $8 cheepo from Surplus Unlimited. I was still in grammar school, and totally infatuated with it. Used to flip it for hours until my hand was black and blue. As it turns out, my rough practicing method was taking it's toll on the structural integrity of the butterfly as well: one of my parents came to my bedroom door and accidently startled me while I was flipping it rather aggressively one evening, and as I jerked it promptly broke. The 5" blade with one handle attatched flew accross the room and embedded itself in the wall a foot or so from the door... and their head. I was left dumbly staring at the single handle still in my hand, trying to figure out what had happened. Needless to say, what was left of the knife was confiscated. Lesson learned: no more cheap bali's for me! I have since refined my technique a bit too- no more bruises anymore either.
A bit more recently: I had taken to carrying a butterfly again about two years ago. It was a Cudemans, cool and different looking but definately no BM (my current jem); and my wife and I were out shopping for a couch. Another lesson learned- they come with a sheath for a reason. I didn't like the look of the sheath, so I had been sliding it into the leather Calvin Klien tag/beltloop on the back of my jeans. It had been working well for months, but evidently those months loosened the fit a bit. Somebody bought a couch that was armed and dangerous from one of those stores- wish I knew which... never turned up in any lost and found...
Kleyman97

Post by Kleyman97 »

OK. Worst story. After owning a 40T as my only Bali, and abusing the things that one can do with it that you can't do with others, I decided to get a 42. My friend is also a bali fan, and I'd playfully stabbed him or slashed at him with my 40T every once in a while. I pick up the Bali one day, flip it open, and pretend to cut across his chest. Suddenly his shirt rips and a little blood starts oozing out. Yup. You guessed it.

Long term 40Ts are a bad idea.
----------------------------------------------------
Best story, I was terribly drunk at a party and was about to get into a fight that I was too tired to participate in. Pulled out my 40T and started flipping it really fast, opening and closing, opening and closing. Other (drunk) guy decided he doesn't want to fight the dude with the knife, and backed off.

-Ilya
This is the life we chose, The life we lead
And there is only one gaurantee
That none of us will see heaven
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

Kleyman97 wrote:OK. Worst story. After owning a 40T as my only Bali, and abusing the things that one can do with it that you can't do with others, I decided to get a 42. My friend is also a bali fan, and I'd playfully stabbed him or slashed at him with my 40T every once in a while. I pick up the Bali one day, flip it open, and pretend to cut across his chest. Suddenly his shirt rips and a little blood starts oozing out. Yup. You guessed it.

Long term 40Ts are a bad idea.
----------------------------------------------------
Best story, I was terribly drunk at a party and was about to get into a fight that I was too tired to participate in. Pulled out my 40T and started flipping it really fast, opening and closing, opening and closing. Other (drunk) guy decided he doesn't want to fight the dude with the knife, and backed off.

-Ilya
KM97 - you should have called that your luckiest story!
you were lucky the other guy didn't have a real blade - or a worse!
Avique

Post by Avique »

A few years back I had my favorite bali, an old frost cutlery model I picked up in the early 80's, confiscated by the police in Cannon Beach, Oregon. They must have thought I looked suspicious and decided to pull me over for not using a turn signal in a parking lot. While running my license they asked if they could search the car and I stupidly said sure, not remembering that I had the bali in the glove compartment. Well they found it and lectured me on the legalities of the balisong knife in the state of Oregon and took my poor knife off to be destroyed. However, the story has a happy ending, about a month later I received a package in the mail from the Cannon Beach police that contained my knife. No note or anything to let me know why it had been returned, but in the end who cares as long as it was home.
God help us we're in the hands of engineers!
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

Avique wrote:A few years back I had my favorite bali, an old frost cutlery model I picked up in the early 80's, confiscated by the police in Cannon Beach, Oregon. They must have thought I looked suspicious and decided to pull me over for not using a turn signal in a parking lot. While running my license they asked if they could search the car and I stupidly said sure, not remembering that I had the bali in the glove compartment. Well they found it and lectured me on the legalities of the balisong knife in the state of Oregon and took my poor knife off to be destroyed. However, the story has a happy ending, about a month later I received a package in the mail from the Cannon Beach police that contained my knife. No note or anything to let me know why it had been returned, but in the end who cares as long as it was home.
i guess they realized they are legal in oregon - just like switches 8)
Avique

Post by Avique »

That was my understanding as well, but with my mom and wife in the car it didn't seem like a good time to press the issue.

Andy
God help us we're in the hands of engineers!
BleedingMisanthropica

mrbigg wrote: i guess they realized they are legal in oregon - just like switches 8)
Switch knives are legal in Oregon? That's it, I'm moving.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

BleedingMisanthropica wrote:
mrbigg wrote: i guess they realized they are legal in oregon - just like switches 8)
Switch knives are legal in Oregon? That's it, I'm moving.
yup - 100% legal unless concealed!!!

benchmade, protech, almar and others all call oregon home! 8)
BleedingMisanthropica

I think that is probably the coolest thing I've ever heard.