Polishing

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

years ago i took a light dimmer switch and set it up on a electrical outlet in order to control the amount of voltage to control the temp. of a wood burning tool. could this be done on a higher rpm motor to slow it down or would this cause some kinda damage to the motor?

tryker
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I've done this with "light draw" things [like blowers] but it is not reccomended for things that draw more current [like buffers] :?
Most "heavy draw" [variable speed] motors are DC using a converter :idea:
Someone with more electrical knowledge than me may be able to explain :wink:
avicci

Post by avicci »

Well, here is the update:

I decided to try the gentler manual approach of hand polishing first. I didn't have any Simichrome handy but did have some MAAS creme. (These products are both very similar as I have used both on my Harleys. I had MAAS laying around as it was available at Ace Hardware the last time I needed polish - much cheaper than Simichrome from the Harley dealer.) In any case, it worked beautifully! :D

What I discovered was that it takes PATIENCE. It took a few hours of hand rubbing to remove what took a few minutes to do with the Dremel. Live and learn I guess.

I now have a much greater appreciation for polishing as this turned out great. I also polished my old Rizutto as well and man that thing looks like the day I got it in 1972! ( I used Novus plastic polish #2 on the handles and they now glisten. This is available online and even at some auto parts stores.)

Now I'm on the quest to find an old motor to make my own buffer as this is surprizingly fun. Polishing gives me a bit of that new knife fix without having to spend any money!

Thanks again to everyone for your invaluable suggestions. :)

Vic