Swing with a split spring????

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Claudester

Swing with a split spring????

Post by Claudester »

Bill,
Could you tell me something about this swingguard (Medici). Why the nail nick and I have never seen a switch with a split spring.

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Claudster...are the liners made of brass? They look like stainless in the picture. I remember seeing one of those split springs on a similar model on BA a while back. The knife was a similar style to the medici. Seller claimed it was from the 70's. I also have a knife like the one I saw on BA, but it has a solid spring. I think they did a run of medi's in the 70's. Bill will know for sure.
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Edge,
The liners are steel.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Cool. Is this a lamadamas special? :wink:
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

I don't think it was. I had it in drawer with some others and I had never really looked at it much. I just noticed it was different than my others.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Claudester
These were made in the 1970s, as an auto copy of the Puma Medici-hence the nail nick. I don't recall ever seeing one with steel liners. The use of the split spring was probably to expedite production. It's easier to stamp out thin parts. The first runs of the current re-issue used the split springs, also.
Bill
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Bill,
Thanks for the info. I never looked at the knife that close till today.
Picklokpat

Post by Picklokpat »

While on this subject, I've been looking at some Puma medici's just a couple of hours ago and would like to know if anyone has converted these to auto,and if so did you use a leafspring,etc, any info is much appreciated! Thanks........ Pat
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have not converted one, but there is not much room without thicker scales. A leaf spring would be a must.
Bill