abalone scales?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
goat

abalone scales?

Post by goat »

Hey first time post. Been buying automatics for a bit and ran into your forum,sooo now i want to build a knife. thinking about picking up a mikov kit with the bottom bolsters to reduce scale size but im wondering what to fill the back of the shell with? the scales are fairly wide and the curvature of the shell doesnt leave a very thick scale. and a nice thick scale is what i'm after. all the shells i have arent that big (7"-9") any one worked with abalone before ? im afraid of chipping when i peen.I know the dust will make you sick(found that out personally). any experience would be helpfull. only people i've found here are hippies who make earings for tourists
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Fiest counter sink the pin hole, peen the pin carefully with the smallest hammer you can find. Koval knives http://www.kovalknives.com/home.htm has a devive called a pin spinner that you chuck in a drill and it rounds the pin end and leaves it exposed.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't recommend novices using pearl, but if you do-
About the only thing you will be able to back it with is a dyed epoxy. Tape the sies of the piece with masking tape and pour the epoxy in. Let it set. Then grind/file the backside down flat, and work from there. There is some flex in the lever side liner, which may cause problems with the abalone.
Bill