Mighty quiet here....

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Mighty quiet here....

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I guess it will pick up when the knife kits arrive!
Bill
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. DeShivs-

What shall we use to fill the empty spaces where we used to talk ? I am just a new boy, stranger in this town. Where are all the good times, ....?

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Well, Wally-you would think someone would have some knife questions!
Bill
Picklokpat

Post by Picklokpat »

I got a question or two thousand so........ guess I'll have to start askin.If a guy,with no blade gringing experience, wanted to buy an instructional tape or book on that subject which ONE would you recomend.
I probably better ask them one at a time. thanks
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Pat
I can't help with a book. I would get a Grizzly 2x72 grinder, some scrap metal, and start practicing! It's really not that hard, and the grinder is on sale!
http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com
Bill
Picklokpat

Post by Picklokpat »

Hey thanks Bill I have that grinder bought it about six mos. ago. I'd like to see it done though even on tape.I have made seven blades but I filed them out. The first one is real spikey but the rest got better by the blade.Guess I'm just at a "dumb stop" I'll try it, do I hold the bevel up or down? I lay them out ok but takes a LONG time to file one out gotta try it.like you said.I really like that grizzly though it takes down 1/4" n/s like a candle on a woodstove.The low speed really made a difference on the buffing end too. Pat
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm no master, but I grind edge up. I don't use a rest. Once you get the hang of it and establish a groove, it's pretty easy to stay in it. You can use the tool rest, positioning it so that when you hold the blade at 90 degrees the cut will be the same. If you are not concerned with a bevel line, you can grind lengthwise.
Glad to hear you are going further with your knifemaking. You seem to have quite a bit of talent. Feel free to ask if you have questions.
Bill
Picklokpat

Post by Picklokpat »

The blades I did were all bayos.Think I'll try a flatground on the grinder.Will you run me thru the grits you use I got 60 150 220 AND 400. Pat
missaman

Post by missaman »

PLP...
As I own one of your knives I can say BRAVO :D
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Pat
Those will do! Start with 150 for a folder blade. Get most of the work done with it, then go to the finer grades to finish grind. Heat treat, then go over it with 400. You can then buff with black rouge on a sisal wheel, then use green compound. Hand sanding to 600 grit first really helps.
Bill
Picklokpat

Post by Picklokpat »

Hot dog Bill I got some scrap and some "good stuff" I will give it a whirl here real soon..I just ordered two sisal wheels the discription said they worked best when grouped two or three. Thanks Pat.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Hi bill
I've got a question, I bought a cheap leverlock and it wouldn't fire properly.so i loosened it up a bit, and now it won't lock shut, so I can't use it for anything, accept as a fix blade .
There are witness marks on the inside of the knife were the blade was catching which shows why it wasn't opening properly......so I'm thinking that I'll need to strip the knife down ( do you know the best way to do that).then file down the inside where the marks are and re-assemble the knife..maybe I'll have to get some rods from Texas knife or somewhere?
any advice appreciated.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

There is a good tutorial here:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/knife101
That should be all the information you need to get started.
Bill
Picklokpat

Post by Picklokpat »

Now I'm still counting this as the first question even thought there have been many "sub ?'s" I got the sissal wheels today having a hard time with them is there a short way to break them in or should I invest in a flack jacket? Best way I found to get rouge on them is to hold them stationary and rub the compound on by hand! I've heard so much stuff about buffing wheels I'm confused. Is there any merit in flipping a muslin wheel I tried it with no noticable improvement. Also i read somewhere that a new wheel can be treated with something to help pickup the rouge.These new sissal wheels sling most of the compound on the floor. This question is gettin real long! I might have to call it one and two.Worked a blade down on the grizzley comming along pretty well.Seems like when I get the steel just on the belt without any appreciable pressure against the platen I get the best results thumb flat on blade lets ya know when it's getting time for a dunk. Any suggestions and or comments GREATLY appreciated Thanks All PLP
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Pat
Try turning the buffer on, letting it come up to speed, then switching it off. As it is winding down, apply the compound. Let the wheel set for a couple of minutes. They are messy, but should cut steel very well.
Bill