Worm Holes !!

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
switch67

Worm Holes !!

Post by switch67 »

Bill, I noticed that I have a few pests in one of my stiletto cases having a nice snack on my horn scales. These little buggers are a pain in the arse! I'm going to reseal the case as airtight as possible.
My questions are: how can I prevent these pests from eating my horn? And is there anything I can put into the cases to keep them away. I heard a fellow collecter recommending moth balls? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Steve
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Switch67-

I had little persitant ants in my knife case, and dried the lil' bastids out with a couple of small dessicant packages tossed in behind liner. I wonder if the emmission of naptha vapors might irrevocably permeate the organic membrane pores in the horn, and cause a smelly warpage. Besides, moth balls are just too tasty to waste on bugs. I like to substitue them for the white onions in my kerosene martinis.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Last edited by Wally J. Corpse on Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Switch
I would think that any insecticide, including mothballs, would work. It seems to me these beetles do not attack knives that are handled and oiled frquently. I realize that may be difficult to do, but seems to be the best solution. I really don't think they like petroleum products.
A toilet bowl block (or portions thereof) should work too. Same as mothballs. Maybe cedar blocks in the case?
Bill
switch67

Post by switch67 »

Wally & Bill, Thanks for the info :D I just got done sealing the display case I found these pests munching in and noticed it had some gaps that they could easily "get-in" and have lunch.I have numerous other cases with horn knives,but I've never seen any signs of them. Maybe it's the silica packets I keep in them?I believe these pests are known as carpet beetles.
At this moment I have a few of these horn stilettos soaking in mineral oil.

Steve
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Steve,

Sorry to read of your infestation. Your situation made me aware of the fact that storing horn scaled knives in the nice presentation boxes in which they were received might not be a good idea. I need to make some storage adjustments.

Jim
STAGNUT

Post by STAGNUT »

Hi switch
just because you have the cases sealed does'nt mean they still arent in the horn already....I would replace the backing material you have,soak the said knives in mineral oil.. throw away the cases and send the knives TO ME :wink:
Stagnut
switch67

Post by switch67 »

They're on the way, I don't need them anymore...take up too much space. Besides, I don't need anymore pets in my house :lol:
<br>
I have it under control now. Every horn knife I own is getting a good soaking and my cases are being pesticided.
STAGNUT

Post by STAGNUT »

LOL
Stagnut