Conversions

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
quicksnap

Conversions

Post by quicksnap »

Can a knife like this be converted to automatic?
If so how?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... RK:MEBI:IT
Is it as simple as just drilling and putting in spring and button etc etc?
Or is it even not worth doing? :?
Also, Does anyone have any old scales that fit a 9" (overall) "magic knife kit" that they wouldn't mind parting with? For a price of course. Colour dosnt really matter but black is prefered.
Thanks, Quicksnap
Last edited by quicksnap on Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
hmmmm I lurve the smell of cold steel in the mornin'
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

it can be done - but it would be easier and cheaper to buy a switch already made!
quicksnap

Post by quicksnap »

I agree about it being cheaper and easier and I would love to be able to buy them ready made, but being in a "bubble wrapped" country I have to do everything the hard way. :roll: It would be a good time waster anyway, instead of watching reality tv that works off a script. :lol:
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I agree with mr Big.it would be far easier to buy a "ready made".than try and make that knife into something that goes click :roll:. If you want a kit knife.i.e. something to convert into an Auto there are lots available.just look 8) ,..........some will take you 5 minutes, some could be works of art :lol: and take a year :wink:
STAGNUT

Post by STAGNUT »

IF YOU NEED SCALES YOU CAN JUST BUY A NEW KIT FOR ABOUT 9 BUCKS PLUS SHIPPING http://search.ebay.com/switchblade-knif ... 1QQfromZR8

HOPE THIS HELPED
Stagnut
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

I would be mos' wary of the "Magic Knife Kits." They are not the same as they used to be. I bought one a few years ago (thanks to Mr. Falcon) and it was made in Italy. Nice little knife...

I recently purchased 3 of them on BA. The package said "made in Italy." This was marked-out with a black felt pen, but I could still read it. I inquired of the seller and he told me the distributor told him they were made in Taiwan. I doubt it!

The quality is the worst of any knife I have ever seen! I suspect they are made in China... Pure JUNK!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
spindizzy

Post by spindizzy »

How about buying a Mikov kit? It will certainly reach you.
quicksnap

Post by quicksnap »

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. Buying a whole kit probably would be the best thing to do except I already have one of the kits but I lost the damn scales :x So if I get the kit, ill still be left with a knife with no scales. Ill most likely just end up making some but I think I might have problems around the button where the "rail" things are really close to the side of the handle. Oh well, one day.
The mikov kits are great! I already got one a few weeks ago and I have to say that I love those knives and I plan to buy a few more. As soon as I get some more credit on the old VISA that is.
Anyways, Thanks again,
QuICkSnaP