Filling a crack

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mr_edge

Filling a crack

Post by mr_edge »

Hi Bill,
Just got one of those NOS 20cm swingers. Nice little knife overall, but it needs a little TLC to make her shine nicely. The major issue is this crack in the front scale. I had thought I might just clean out the crack and fill it with super glue, then sand it out. Will this help, or do I need to mix some horn dust with epoxy to do this repair? Any advice would be appreciated.

rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

mr-edge i had a similar problem recently with a dark horn 91/2" LL.
I used super glue ,i let it soak in and dry ,then repeated untill it was slightly proud.
Some fine "wet n' dry" (1200 grit) and a little metal polish and it was gone. :lol:
Cheers
RB
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Thanx rapidboy1
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Clean out the crack. Using a black majic marker, go over it until you get ink into the crack. Use super glue. Horn dust will make the crack show. Use the majic marker between coats of super glue. File and sand/polish.
Bill
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Thanx BIll. I will do just that!
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Any tips on cleaning out a crack in white bone scales before super gluing? Thanks in advance...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Use a paste of Ivory soap, baking soda, and water.
If you know a jeweler, ask him to steam clean it.
Bill
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Geez...thanx for asking Jarvis! I was just gonna scrub it out with a tooth brush (my girlfriend's of course). :shock:
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Progress report: Presto it vanished! Followed your advice and you can't tell that there was ever a crack there. Boy did that crack ever suck up a pile of super glue. A bit of sanding and polishing and this little knife cleaned up like brand new. My batteries in the camera crapped out, but I'll try to post a pic of the results soon.
Thanx to both Rapidboy1 and Bill.