pins, peening?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
brandon

pins, peening?

Post by brandon »

can someone explain to me how these pins work that hold these knives together. also what is peening? are they just pins that are bashed with a hammer are thats how they get the rounded top? if so how do u do this without damaging the knife? im definitely a newbie to this so sorry if i sound like a complete fool. i'm thinking buying a mikov kit but i want to know what i'm getting myself into before i drop 60 bucks.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Brandon
The pins are not "bashed", but peened. Peening involves carefully tapping the ends of the pin with a very small hammer, spreading and rounding the heads. See the related posts for more info.
Bill
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Use the lightest hammer you can find :!: 1oz to 2 oz is not too light, I have a antique French Jewelers hammer that is about a half once that I used until the handle broke. Tap the pin with short light taps.Have the back side of the pin resting on a solid piece of steel for an anvil.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Vagrant wrote:Have the back side of the pin resting on a solid piece of steel for an anvil.
Being sure to avoid the Hardy and Pritchel holes, right :!: Could't wait to show off that bitchen anvil lore imparted by Mr. Vagrant on the thread of the same name.

Keep that Hardy Hot :lol: :lol:
brandon

Post by brandon »

what are the pins made out of? brass, copper?
also, can someone give me a general idea of what else is involved in making a bolster release knife rather than a picklock? and, what are other, if any, release mechanisms besides the moving bolster? i downloaded the tutorial but since it is a picklock it doesn't go into any detail as to how to how any release mechanism is assembled or how it functions. thanks for your help.
Last edited by brandon on Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

For the most, brass.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

What I don't understand with peening is, do you do it on one side or both? by that I mean, obviously you need to peen into the handle material, but what about the liner? do you pen there or do you glue,solder...........what?
Sorry for another dumb question :oops:
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

You have to do it to both sides. I myself do the inside of the liners first and the outside afterwards before the final assembly. Don't know if this is the correct sequence, but works for me.
~RAZOR~
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Thanks Razor
I was just thinking that maybe you could use the holes in the liner as a kinda template to get your peening just right, then take it out and thread it thru your handle material and the liner from the other side, then maybe you could cut it off flush with a dremmel. you could then glue or solder the pin onto the liner do that the inside was flush.but if you can do it both sides that would be fine :D
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

The only solder i use is for the bolsters and only pins for the scales. Pin the inside first and cut the outside leaving about 1/16" for peening. You can then buff everything down.
~RAZOR~
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Peening is simply riveting. Small heads are formed on both sides.
Pins cannot/should not be soldered or glued.
Bill
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Thanks guys :)