Shell/MOP inserts

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mr. Chooch

Shell/MOP inserts

Post by Mr. Chooch »

Living on the West Coast, shells are in abundance. The question I have is, the shell doesn't come to you flat and beautiful. Yes they are brittle and toxic and difficult to work with. How do you get them to a nice flat piece? Is there any type of liquid that will soften them up so that you can flatten them easier?

Love to hear some suggestions!

Thanks
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Well I don't know what Bill would say but Madge would say palmolive dish washer soap. Your soaking in it right now. :wink:
PB
yavcon

Post by yavcon »

I use lot's of shell in the guitars I build.
I usually purchase mother of pearl or abalone in flat sheets or strips. There is also a product called "abalam" which is a veneer of very colorful peices laminated together like plywood. Much easier to work with. It's also much more avalible and cost less.
Sorry about the size of these...I cant resize in this forum?

ImageImage
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Is that a guitar you built or a BC Rich? Really cool looking!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Yavcon
Your good at what you do.
PB
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Yavcon,

Beautiful work, show more.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

mr.chooch - are you the same mr.chooch who sells on ebay?
yavcon

Post by yavcon »

Thanks for the kind words.
Mr Edge, they are mine, but with lot's of inspiration from BC Rich.
I started Yavcon guitars because I couldnt find anyone to do what I wanted (the exotic woods and laminations).
I produced 10 guitars under the name Yavcon, then merged with a larger more reputable company (Neal Mosers MCS)
Now I only do contract work for him. Also three of my shapes are still avalible as MCS guitars.
I couldnt fetch a high enough price to keep building.
The ten I built are archived in a small site here..
http://yavcon0.tripod.com/gallery/index.html
There are two "custom" guitars. #4 and #7. Both were concepts of the customer. One with a fretboard inlay that I took a lot of heat for...the other with three glowing sixes in the style of old violin F-holes. I took lots of flack for that one too. I didnt care if I was building a guitar for God, the Devil, or Santa Claus, as long as they knew good ol Ben Franklin! :wink:
Looking back though,.....well....hindsite is always 20/20.
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

yavcon, that's some real beautiful work you do. Makes me wonder the stuff you could do if you were to start building custom knives.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Yavcon & Abe,

I was just thinking the same thing myself. Looked at your stuff, gorgeous.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Shell cannot be softened. It must be cut to shape. Shell is very dangerous to grind-the dust is both abrasive and toxic.
Bill
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Bill
I haven't seen Marge in years. Do you think thats what killed her? :shock:
PB
yavcon

Post by yavcon »

abe suarez wrote:yavcon, that's some real beautiful work you do. Makes me wonder the stuff you could do if you were to start building custom knives.

Thanks for the support, you know I gave knife building a thought, but figured it was too dificult. I learned how to build guitars by taking one apart, but wood is easy to cut. Metal work needs special tools. I have no metal knowledge or experience. If I were to do anything, it would be a swinguard leverlock. Man, do I love leverlocks. I have a Hubertus Guardian (which to the best of my knowledge is the only production lev with a swing?) but you need to press the button hard for it to open. About 10% of the time, I dont press the lever hard enough and it mis-fires. Who the hell wants a knife that doesnt open 100% of the time it is fired? Anyway. I figured if there is a place that could make the parts for me (in say a quantity of a hundred or so) I would love to get into building them. I could have the metal parts made, and could throw some artistic vision into the design and scales. The thing with guitars, is by the time I buy enough exotic figured wood to build one, I'm in the hole about $500 already. Thats doesnt include the hardware, paint, case, labor.....I needed to sell them for thousands of dollars to recover. With a knife, one only needs a hundred dollars or so to buy the product...BIG diference. I might look into doing something. Anyone know a good place to get started? Parts, blades, books, websites, ?
I suppose I should buy a few to take apart. hehehe.
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

Hi there Yavcon, beautiful work on the guitars!!!
Its sound like a mikov knife would be a perfect knife for you to start, as it is available in kit form and is a lever, and scales are big for some nice inlay work :lol: Check em out, they are cool knives.
Jagman
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Thanx for posting the site...the guitars are amazing!