Bone 101

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Diggaway

Post by Diggaway »

Hi TR
Indeed,now you ARE in for it. Many hours in the shop and the moaning chair before you find homes for all that scale material :D
Careful with the ivory;stick with hand tools,it doesn't like hot spots.

Mr PB and Mr WJC;you wouldn't be the first.In an older edition of Knives annual is pictured a knife a fellow had hafted with his own femur,smooth finish,no flesh attached.Thank goodness there isn't a human counterpart to oosic, nor a source for same.
Regards,Diggaway
Sempere ubi sub ubi
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Diggaway,

You advice is right on the money. The grocery store doggy bone, once I cut it up, proved to be good and dense, the right color (the bleached white surface was only about 1/16" deep, so inside it is a creamy white color with a very slight grain), the right price ($2.99), and stinks like hell when you saw or sand it. You warned about that.

So it's just about perfect for what I was trying to do. Thanks.

I'm turning into W.C. Fields; buying and hoarding materials I'v got no immediate use for. That load of stuff I just ordered may go to the sidelines in deference to a 3 dollar dog bone. Got to love it.

Note to self: Go buy some incense or something.
Other note to self: Build more knives.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?