Tools needed to make custom knifes.

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ktonix

Tools needed to make custom knifes.

Post by ktonix »

Just wondering what are the main tools custom knife makers use ,
bandsaw, planer , belt grinder , bench grinder , files , clamps , drill press , toaster oven ( or autoclave if your a richie ) forge , anvil ( or a 5 gallon bucket of cement with a 5x5x5 block of steel ) hammers...ect

wondering how much it would cost to make it a hobby and such
------------
James Foster
jamief@ktonix.com
http://www.ktonix.com
dart

Post by dart »

Hi James, I am no authority on what you are asking but I've learned a lot here and at the ckd forum. You can check there too. I enjoy both forums. Learned a lot about machines and tools at both places. Now if I just had enough money I'd... I have to admit that having lots of machines makes the hobby easier but you can do just about as well with basic tools you probably already are familiar with or already have. Just a thought and my two pennies. Jim :D
Use a bigger knife.
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Ktonix-

I have found that one can create a truly impressive one of a kind custom knife with just about anything within grasp. I recently won accolades for a copper bladed OTF with a Tampoon handle...

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Tools: you can spend as much as you want. Bench grinder will pinch-hit as a buffer. http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com sells a 2x72 belt grinder/buffer that can't be beat for the price. http://www.harborfreight.com has a 4" metal cutting bandsaw for $180. With some mods it works well.
Dremel or flex shaft- check pawn shops.
Hand tools: files, sandpaper, small hammer, bench vise.
More to come....
Bill
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bill that 2"x72" [with buffer] is an awesome deal. If they had it 25 years ago I might not have bought my Wilton. The small [1"x30"] they sell, http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cf ... mber=H3140 looks nice for smaller work :idea: I have 2 or 3 !"x30" ones but they have the disk sander on them and it can be in he way or extra drag when using a 12v-110v inverter. Looks like I'll be getting another 1"x30" :wink: Thanks
ktonix

Post by ktonix »

this is what i have ,
bench vise , misc clamps , auto mechanic tools , wrenches , screw drivers, drills, various files , caliper, router , dremel , hand held planer , skill saw . What I would like to get , bench grinder , belt grinder and a bandsaw

Wally , any pictures of the most dangerous tampon on earth?
------------
James Foster
jamief@ktonix.com
http://www.ktonix.com
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

http://www.homier.com has 1x30 belt grinders for 20 bucks, plus lots of other tools REALLY cheap!
The Grizzly 2x72 is a must for any serious shop. Best bang for the buck!
Bill
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Bill- that Grizzly link was great- thank you!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You also need a propane torch, a cheap drill press, and some firebricks.
For those of you who want a flexible shaft, Homier has them for $20. If you have a place to hang it, this tool is far better for most knife work than a Dremel. This is the deal of the century!
The Homier site has lots of deals if you look in all the categories.
Bill
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

My old Grizzly 2x72 bit the dust a few months ago, so I bought a new one.
The newer models are so much better, that if I had known, I probably couldn't have justified buying my Hardcore grinder.
Bill
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Hi,

I've been building them for about 7 o 8 months, and went from zero to almost-up-to-speed for about $1000.00. There seem to be a lot of must have items you discover along the way. It mostly depends on what sort/how much work you want to do. Now that I'm making knives from scratch; blades, springs, etc., it is way over the budget I'd pictured 6 months ago. Modifying production knives is a much cheaper undertaking.

A comfortable place to work and appropriate light are important, in my opinion. (That cost me).

Good luck, and be sure to show off your accomplishments here.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Um, post script. I meant to tack this on the end of the last one.

A word about Harbor Freight league suppliers; I've learned to anticipate that I'm getting a kit, rather than a fully functional machine tool when buying from the really low priced suppliers. This is not a bad thing, it just is.

Case in point; my new Chinese metal cutting band saw needed tweaking to the max and new (American) motor before it was knife shop worthy. I'm ok with this since the motor didn't cost me anything, and I've got 30 plus years experience making industrial machinery play nice. And good bunch of tools. To me it was a bargain (the price kept going down as I negotiated), but I couldn't help thinking the averge guy would bust a gut sometimes trying to assemble and/or tune up some of these products.

TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Bill DeShivs wrote:www.homier.com has 1x30 belt grinders for 20 bucks, plus lots of other tools REALLY cheap!
The Grizzly 2x72 is a must for any serious shop. Best bang for the buck!
Bill
HELP I can't find the Homier 1x30 :(
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Vagrant
I looked and don't see it, either. Sometimes their offerings change. I didn't see the $30 drill press, as well.
Bill
dart

Post by dart »

"but I couldn't help thinking the averge guy would bust a gut sometimes trying to assemble and/or tune up some of these products. "
Well said, tr4252. Don't forget about the machines and the regular maintainance they all require. I sometimes spend more time fiddling with the machines than I do actually using them. I buy the moderate priced machines and some of the cheaper ones too. Like you say, most are just kits waiting for assembly and maintainance right out of the box. Also it seems like eveyone that buys from Grizzly really likes the product right out to the box. They are supposed to be a really good company to deal with and they have good customer service, I've been told. May try them soon?
Use a bigger knife.