Looking for conversion instuctions for Boker models.

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
solomon

Looking for conversion instuctions for Boker models.

Post by solomon »

I am in need of instrucyions and parts to convert the Boker Magnum to fully Automatic.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sorry, I never did one.
Bill
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

solomon,

sometimes you see springs for sale on ebay, and the seller says they include instructions...do a search on google....good luck
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Solomon.
I just recieved a reply to a similar question on the CKD folder forum. I think that the conversion is fairly straightforward for the Magnums you just pop a spring in, the well is dug out on the bloster and there is a hole in the blade for the other end of the spring, so it's just a question of lining them up.
The toplocks/speedlocks are a bit different and some don't have the well in the bolster or the hole in the blade ( so I'm told :D ).
If you want to buy the springs you can get them from PVK in the good ones thread.
You might like to consider buying a Magnum from Bladeplay, their prices on these are really cheap and also include shipping in the US. I think you will find that for the price of a spring and the price of a manual knife and the shipping will cost a lot more than a clikkerty click Magnum auto ready made from Bladeplay (also in the good ones list.)
I asked Cam from Bladeplay if they would remove the spring from a Magnum for me before shipping he said that he would but that they were tricky to put in, and that he had a video instructing you how to do this, he also said that he would tighten the pivot spring for me so that the knife appeared as a manual until you loosened it.
Hope that helps :wink:
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

One of my first posts on TB was about how to do this very conversion and one of the "usual suspects" on here sent a PM offering both the spring and the conversion instructions FOC ,the conversion went fine and i haven't forgotten his generosity :wink:

The most difficult part was getting a tungsten carbide drill bit to drill the hole in the blade ,but now its done it's by far the hardest hitting knife i have.

Take it apart and it looks like this.
There will be a thin washer covering the spring recess ,remove this and you see the slot where the spring locates.

Some people find it a little tricky putting it together but if you put the spring in the blade first and then offer that up to the body it goes together real easy.

I have heard that some don't have the recess cut but here is a close up ,you can make it with a dremmel type tool.
This also shows where to drill the hole in the blade.

Sorry about the picture quality it was a bit rushed.

Give it a go and if you have any problems PM me and i can talk you through it.

I have a spring for a Magnum but I'm still waiting for the knife to arrive :evil:

Cheers

RB1
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Good show, rapidboy1!

This project looks like an excellent "excuse" to buy that drill press we've been thinking about... With a drill press, good bit and proper clamps the blade hole should be a snap.
:idea:
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Great post Rapid boy, I was only re-telling information that I had heard, but you've actually done it :)
Is the Magnum any different to the Toplock? or does that come ready drilled out? and how hard is it to fit a spring into one of them? also do you know anywhere cheaper than PVK for getting springs?
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

My Magnum is on back order so i don't know yet but i believe they are all cut for a spring.
A source in UK or US is http://outdoorsuppliesuk.com/
Check in the Specialty parts section under Custom hand made knives and knife kits.
I dont know about price but Joe is a good guy.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Rapid boy
I know Joe, I've bought stuff off him in the past, and you are right he is a great guy. He will always give you a fair price, in the UK he undersells everybody else :D I think that he would be pretty good in the US as well
......just a thought, is he on the "Good ones" list.....I think that he should be :wink:
Please let me know about the Boker when you get it, also S+W do a very similar knife which is also both auto and manual...I've seen it on PVK, I wonder if that is set up for conversion.
I was just thinking today that there are some knives which would be really tremendous if they were twice the size :lol: ...I can think of two right off, the Boker toplock and the Kershaw Chive
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

jorvik,
have you tried a Kershaw Blackout?
A lot of guys on here have them as EDC's.
I use on myself ,as quick as an auto ,great blade and legal!
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Rapid Boy.
Yeh assisted openers are great :lol: ( ....but nowhere near as good as the real thing 8) )...I've got a "Chive" and a Sog 2..in my country even a pencil sharpener can be deemed an "offensive weapon"(joke) :oops: .........very sad :roll: .....and pointless, and stupid...if somebody commits an offence you should punish them, and not the implement that they used to committ the crime. Should we ban cars because of hit and run drivers??...that would be stupid..but it is perfectly logical ( not) to ban guns and knives because criminals use them :shock:
...end of rant :lol:
I do like the assisteds but it would have to be something special from Ken Onion or Darryl Ralph...one of their Customs, the Onion customs look far better than the stuff from Kershaw...personally I don't like the Blackout, I have a Chive( which is way to small) .if I had a choice I'd go for a Leek......I have seen one of his Boas customised on some web page...and it looked pretty cool, it was done up as a "MarineKnife" with US Army on it and a Kinda canvass handle...personally ( if I had the skill) I would like to get a Boa and put Brass bolsters on it and a stag handle...and make it look like an old type lockback.............( maybe oneday :lol: )
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Hope this helps :wink:
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Nice pictures RP1, thanks for sharing......I believe that the Kalashnikov 74's are pretty much the same in construction.
So that's another two knives that I want.........Gosh :roll: .....will it ever end. :wink:
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

I got a '74 on the way ,and you should know by now ....it never ends :wink: :lol:
dart

Post by dart »

The Boker looks like a really well made knife. Do you know what type of steel is in the blade? Just wondered?
Use a bigger knife.