release question

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
moosebert

release question

Post by moosebert »

Oops, posted this in blade pictures by mistake...

Hello!

I recently purchased a tactical stiletto, and the release mechanism is very tight forcing me to apply pressure to the blade for release, rather than gravity taking it's course.

Is there anything I can do to ease this, as it's not what I'm used to with most of my pick locks?

This is the same knife I purchased:
http://bladeauction.com/cgi-bin/osa/Vie ... ber=734720
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Its a swival and might just be gummed up from the coatings. Give it a good shower in WD-40 and see how that works out for you 8)
PB
moosebert

Post by moosebert »

Forgive my ignorance, as I'm just starting out with my knife interest :)

The notch in the blade that locks into position post-opening seems to be still in the little hole JUST enough to negate the usual release.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I see so no matter how high you push the bolster up it never quite clears the locking pin. I would say to carefully file away some of the top. But before you do I'm going to move this to Bills forum if there is a better way he will know it.
PB
missaman

Post by missaman »

I own one of those. What Mr. PB is trying to say [ I think ] is that this knive is not a "picklock" but a swivel bolster knife. the bolster on the button side will move and release the blade. push down on it and it rotates.
somebody here has a pic.
Missaman
moosebert

Post by moosebert »

Ahhhh, I see. Told you guys I'm a pup here ;)

I purchased a knife for personal protection reasons, being in downtown Chicago and what not, but quickly fell in love with the history and art behind these. But I digress.

I guess this video is somewhat moot, but why not: http://www.riven.net/~moose/mov01641.mpg
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Missa
I think he knows it's a swival and when he goes to push up on the bolster it doesn't quite come out of the tab hole so he then has to pull up on hte blade. At least thats what I think he is saying. Missa I have tons of pics of 40 and 41 willeys they are one of my favorites since Doug Stone ran one if you want I can direct some you way.
PB
moosebert

Post by moosebert »

PB,
That is EXACTLY what I'm trying to say.

Somewhat off-topic, but is there a good book or site you'd suggest? I'd like to do some reading and better understand the mechanics.
missaman

Post by missaman »

Stone Woods Cook 41 Willys Give me a Warm feeling.
The 40 dodge i sold last year made me realize ya can't see a friggin thing
when your inside one. I spent 7 years rebuilding that car from a piece of scrap metal to a 383 powered terror.
It may look cool and haul ass, but I NEVER felt comfortable driving it anywhere but the track.
And I hate trailer queens
Not to be confused with display queens, Or Queens on the block...
Missaman :wink:
missaman

Post by missaman »

Or Jerr :roll: