Looking for information on this gravity knife

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Selachii

Looking for information on this gravity knife

Post by Selachii »

I found an interesting gravity knife and wound like to repair its spring. It still works, but the button is loose. I was unable to remove the spring from the button housing and don't want to ruin the original part. I've tried on spare parts, but its like welded in place.
Any idea how to remover it without brute force?

I've also never seen this companies name, do you have any information of it by any chance?

Regards Selachii

https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annot ... 3452725248
https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annot ... r0m7jokpjr
https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annot ... r0m7jokpjr
Last edited by Selachii on Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gravknife

Re: Looking for information on this gravity knife

Post by gravknife »

Selachi

This is" kappmesser "either M1956 or M1963 ,they have slight variations between 1st and 2nd models ,look on wehrmacht awards to see the differences and learn more about these interesting gravity knives .
If it has an eagle on the grip it is military Bundeswehr issue and should have some inspection numbers on the trapdoor .Others were made for sale to civilians ,I have seen Anton wingen ,,Eickhorn and WKC examples but never one with this nice Gazelle stamp.
I believe it could be by" Gebruder Krusius "but I am not positive so you may need to dig a little more .
I cannot help with the repair as these were notorious for breaking ,maybe Bill has an idea on repairing these.... if anyone knows it will be him ,and you are in the right place. .

Thanks for sharing it as it is a mark I have never come across on these knives.

Welcome to the forum
Ian
P.S
Found this S/A dagger and the company logo etc ,there is a write up of their history if you type in Gebruder solingen knives and do a search .
Hope this helps a bit .
Attachments
20240428_101052.jpg
20240428_101052.jpg (476.72 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Gebr.-Krusius-Gazelle-Solingen.png
Gebr.-Krusius-Gazelle-Solingen.png (190.51 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Gebr.-Krusius-Gazelle-Solingen.jpg
Gebr.-Krusius-Gazelle-Solingen.jpg (421.83 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Nor have I ever seen a Gebruder of this type.
If you want to remove the button spring, you have to remove the button by driving out the button pin. Trying to do so otherwise will ruin the spring, and you can't get a new spring in unless the button is removed.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Selachii

Post by Selachii »

I just received a small ERN zinc plated gravity knife that also needs a spring. The previous owner told me that it went missing one week after he bought it and that was over 50 years ago. Got really lucky that it ended up in a drawer, he told me that it would have gotten thrown away in a couple of days if nobody had bought it.
I will let a machinist make me a few replacement springs and just hope they used identical ones in the bigger gravity knives made by Anton Wingen (Krusius).

Thank you all or the information on the Gebrüder Krusius knife.
20240508_230532.jpg
20240508_230532.jpg (613.45 KiB) Viewed 160 times
20240508_230510.jpg
20240508_230510.jpg (787.12 KiB) Viewed 160 times