Abalone How Do They Do It

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Billyfish

Re: Abalone How Do They Do It

Post by Billyfish »

gravknife wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:05 pm Does the same apply to mother of pearl ?
I have a couple of old victorian and Edwardian fruit knives and it looks like 1 solid piece .
My Grandfather's Hammer Brand desk knife ca.1910 solid, not laminate. It's not stunning, but it has a few nice pearly areas.
Pardon the poor photo.
Attachments
desknife.jpg
desknife.jpg (73.2 KiB) Viewed 231 times
gravknife

Re: Abalone How Do They Do It

Post by gravknife »

Thanks for the explanation on this .

Most mother of pearl scales I have had on knives has been on very early examples ,mostly penknives .
Chris... love that abalone example you posted ,layered or not it really is a stunning scale material on these knives ,just looks great .
Billyfish would have loved to have seen those custom pearl grips on the Colt .I once had a Remington old model army with ivory grips ,it looked beautiful ,bet they were lookers on that Woodsman .
I love the old penknives from back in the day like your grandfathers example ,thanks for the look .