Fake Latama on Ebay

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Fake Latama on Ebay

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Heads up! Item # 2233816448 is certainly NOT legitimate!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2233816448
Bill
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bill,

Thanks for the heads-up. Also, the guy with the "Bill DeShiva" Leverletto that threw insults your way received a message from me as well. Essentially, I told him that the collector community has forums where we share information about sellers, good and bad, and that deceptive advertising followed by nasty responses is a sure way to eliminate a good portion of collectors from ever bidding on anything that he has.

Jim
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

what's your read on it then bill?

it's obviously a picklock - but the button looks to be in the same position as a "modern" stiletto!?!?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't know. It's an odd knife, but it has brads for pins (not peened), modern folded safety, stainless bolsters, long safety slot, etc. Everything looks like a modern knife except the front bolster.
Bill
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Bill forgive me for interfering with your thread. I just figured it made it easier for people to see the knife in question.
Bob
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

pretty good eyes for such an old timer :wink: :lol:

i'd also have to add that the horn on that knife looks old too - maybe not so much the front scale - cause i've seen stuff like that come out of frank's shop lately, but the back sure does look vintage...

now also why would someone lie about it being stamped latama? maybe it's a frankin knife - built with the good parts of an old beat up latama and a modern beltrame...i'd really like to see the backspring....
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Plus there is no squigle on the blade locking hole.
PB
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

What's with all of the solder slopped all over the bolsters? He ended the auction I guess.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The gentleman is going to send me the knife for evaluation. It's a strange one!
Bill
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

In our next episode Bill discovers the previously unknown Laticama :? and the world of collecting is stunned :wink: The brads turn out to be platinum :!: Same time, same channel, next week :) Be sure to drink your Bosco until then :idea:
[Seriously this IS curious :?: ]
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

It looks like the solder all over the bolster is where he filled in the area that was left vacant when he cut the top of the front scale straight. The bolster release ones have a rounded shape to the bottom of the front, swinging bolster and a corresponding shape to the top of the scale. Notice it says that the blade is stamped Latama but he makes sure to cover the tang stamp in the close-up picture. What a sham.

M.P.E.
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. DeShivs-

Oh boy! Someone in need of vilifying and humiliation? I'm at your service if needed.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Let us wait and see what Bill decides before we start with the impaling :idea: The jury is still out :wink: and the "Judge" hasn't spoken.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Who are we impaling anyways? The seller doesn't post here does he? We could humiliate him for 10 pages but if he has no Idea about this place what difference does it make. I'll wait and see what are resident expert has to say.
PB
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Pushbutton-

Does it really matter who one impales, AS long AS someone gets impaled?When you have a sharp stick, everything looks impaleable.

AS ever,

your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse