S35VN Steel

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

S35VN Steel

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Bill:

How do you feel about S35VN steel? If have read that it is tougher than S30V (due to the added Niobium of course).

Would you please provide your opinion on the steel in a knife that is to be carried and used?

With consummate respect.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: S35VN Steel

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sorry, I don't know anything about it.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
boots

Post by boots »

Fishtail Picklock wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:28 am Bill:

How do you feel about S35VN steel? If have read that it is tougher than S30V (due to the added Niobium of course).

Would you please provide your opinion on the steel in a knife that is to be carried and used?

With consummate respect.
Fishtail Picklock
I don't know anything about S35VN either but the Buck 110 Elite I bought a while back has the S30V blade. From the research I've done S30V blades hold an edge better than most blades, the only problem is once they need sharpening it's a big chore, Buck recommends you send it to them for sharpening. So, I'm guessing S35VN is a booger to sharpen too. :x
boots

Post by boots »

KrisNZ

Post by KrisNZ »

I've had plenty of CRK's in S35VN, I used the crap out of it, works good, just got to keep it Sharp,
People get way to caught up in the latest and greatest steels, if it works for you and your situation then its a good steel.